Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Use the 30 Second Rule

The pacifier drops to the floor from the baby's fingers or the coveted cookie falls out of the hand of the devastated preschooler: "Five-second rule," we claim as we quickly scoop it up and please the child.

I was at Starbucks with some friends once and dropped my coveted cookie. I named the five-second rule as I stooped to pick it up, when my friend beat me to it and ran to throw it away.

I had heard years ago that the five-second rule was in fact accurate; that is, that germs did not usually adhere to food if it was on the floor for that short of a time. Additionally, since I am not a great housekeeper, I generally feel that any place governed by the board of health is going to have a much cleaner floor than most of the surfaces in my kitchen.

Well some students at Connecticut university have not only proven the five second rule, but that for hard, dry foods, the safe time is as much as a minute, and it's still thirty seconds for wet foods (such as an apple slice).

Eat up, moms!

View the two minute report from ABC news by clicking HERE.

Find other advice (that you might be less reluctant to use), by checking out all the participants in Works-for-me Wednesday at Rocks in My Dryer.

14 comments:

Lisa said...

Love it! Thanks for the confirmation of the 5 second rule (which at our house is somewhat longer than 5 seconds...).

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

Thanks for making me feel less guilty for all the time my kids have eaten things off my floor! :)

Heather said...

Woohooo!!!! I love it when science lines up with my way of thinking!

Lawanda said...

I am so glad to hear this. I really truly hate that 5 second rule. I am too slow, you see. I have so many distractions it takes me at least a minute to pick stuff off the floor to eat... ;)

Btw, if it is wet, I throw it away. Ewwww!

T with Honey said...

Yeah for the new 30 second rule. But we still have to move faster than that or the "oops, dog licked it" rule overrides and the cookie goes in the trash.

angeleyes Blue said...

My mother always said 'there is Good Dirt and there is Bad dirt'.

My children are now teenagers but I have to tell you about my teenage son. "Mom, he says "you looked stressed". "Let me help with dinner." (Never Again btw that in itself WAS TOOO STRESSFUL)-- anyway, he put the crescent rolls in the oven and forgot to use a HOT PAD to take them out when they were done.

As he was saying Hot, Hot, Hot and balancing the hot cookie sheet on his hand one roll fell off and onto the ground--He scooped it up quick as a snit and said "Mom 5 second rule." -Yeah the good ole 5 second rule. Put those rolls down before you REALLY burn yourself.

Have a great day everyone :)

Rebecca said...

LOL

God made dirt, a little won't hurt!

Dana said...

I always told you it was true!

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

Mama was always right indeed! :)

Rachel Anne said...

This is true Public Service Announcement! Thanks for confirming what we've always known to be true!

Totallyscrappy said...

:) I dont' know what you are talking about!1 ;)

Honey said...

Hmmm I am going to check this out! We saw a show on 20/20 that showed wet foods picking up bacteria right away (3 seconds), dry foods picked up a little. Shrimp and cantelope stood out as wet foods with lots of yuckies growing. I wonder why these results are different? The test I saw was in a home kitchen. Maybe their floor was dirtier or they had pets or wore shoes in the house. ;)

Katrina said...

Well this is certainly good to know as food is always falling on the floor around here!

Susanne said...

LOL! Yay. A study to back me up!