Monday, July 16, 2007

Authentic Parenting

This week at 5 Minutes for Mom, I interviewed Mary DeMuth about her new book, Authentic Parenting in a Postmodern Culture (you can click the link to buy an autographed copy from her website). Click over to read more (especially about the p-word), and here's a bonus question just for you:

JD: Since we stay so busy today, we have less time for communication as a family. Do you have any tips on how to connect as a family on a regular basis?

MD: Every family is different, so it depends on your own family culture, but I can say that the best thing we do is eat dinner together. It’s where we reconnect, talk, try to heal from and process the wounds of the day, and laugh. Another is to make it a point to read to your children. Choose all sorts of books, nonfiction, fiction, picture books, and keep your ears open. Right now, my eldest daughter and I are reading a book about why people don’t believe. My son and I are reading the latest Tolkien book. My youngest daughter, I’m happy to say, loves the Bible and wants me to read it to her. Just recently we have started to listen to books on CDs in the car. We’ve really enjoyed that. It gives us something shared, something to discuss, and it passes the car time in an enjoyable way.

Oh, yes--Reading Together! I can relate to that.

By the way, 5 Minutes for Mom has a cool new look, so if nothing else, click over to see that.

2 comments:

Corinne said...

Thanks for the review. The book sounds really interesting. By the way, the girls and I are really into the Penderwicks now (on audiobook). Can't wait to see how it turns out!

Mark Goodyear said...

Aha! This is how we found each other. Nice blog! I can't wait to look into it more. I enjoyed the backyardigans post. Cute.

Corinne, I don't know Penderwicks, but it sounds good.

As for Authentic Parenting--I agree. Great book.

(I'm a big fan of reading aloud too. My wife and I are reading Children of Hurin right now.)