Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Flip the Switch

Recently we were watching an episode of the Backyardigans. This particular imaginary journey took them into the world of the future. Two of them were cop-bots, and two of them were robots who had turned bad. What's more, the bad ones had plans to make all robots bad by flipping their switches from good to bad! I somehow missed the defining moment of the plot, which happened when these bad-bots with a plan somehow got their switches flipped from bad to good, but I did notice that they liked the change. In usual fashion, they sang--about how happy they were that they now they felt inspired to do good deeds now instead of being trapped by the evil desires of their bad selves.

Can someone check my back and see if I have one of those switches?

I don't?

Oh, how I wish I did!

For now I will have to cling to these promises, both for myself and for my two little bots who are never quite sure how their switches are set either:

2 Corinthians 5:16-19

So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them.

Philippians 1:4-6

In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Oh, I hear you! I could certainly use one of those switches, myself. (And wouldn't it be oh so handy if our children also came with them?) Great verses -- definitely words to cling to.

summershine said...

I agree completely. It would be so nice if all unrighteous desires could be gone at the flip of a switch.
Mistakes are made, but that is the wonderful thing about repentance.
BTW, that robot episode is one of my kids favorite Backyardigans episodes.

Susanne said...

My hand's up for one of those switches, too!