Sunday, July 15, 2007

This and That from the Weekend

Amanda and I try to grab a couple of hours alone on Saturday or Sunday when we can. If we don't have family plans, we will often head out and leave "the men" at home. The last couple of weeks we have gone to the library so that she could report on her participation in their Summer Reading Club. She's read over 1200 pages so far this summer (in about three weeks)! My efforts in seeking time alone were rewarded.

As we were walking into the library she asked me, "Mom, do you think I talk
too much?"

"Well, what do you mean by that?"

"I mean, do I talk too much so that it's annoying."

"Not really. Usually it's fine, but sometimes it is annoying if you don't stop talking when someone asks you to, or if you are not letting someone else talk when they want to share something.

I think that you are interesting, and I'm glad you can share what's on your mind."

Later I told her that I was really glad that she could bring up those sorts of things with me. In the future I may have to pray for quick wisdom to answer much more difficult questions, but I'm glad that the precedent for open discussion and questioning is being set.


~~~```~~~```~~~```~~~





My library has a book sale every year, and people donate throughout the year. If the books are not deemed worthy for the sale, they are put on a bench in the hall, free for the taking. I got some great children's books. I love Carl, and we only have Good Dog, Carl. The classic Golden Books look great, too. I could have brought home about ten more of those, but even when they are free I have to limit my book consumption.


Magazines pretty much just equal extra clutter around here, so I don't often buy them, but free is a different story. No, I'm not a vegetarian, but I really do love vegetarian cuisine. In fact, I think that if I had a personal chef, I could instruct him/her to prepare vegetarian meals for me all week long. Last week I checked out a great book called Spices of Life. It's not vegetarian, but it's more Eastern/Global than American, in that when meat is used, it's an accent, not the mainstay of the meal. There are informative two-page spreads about health in between each of the chapters. Another favorite is A Year in a Vegetarian Kitchen by Jack Bishop. One thing that I really liked about this one is that he is a dad and wrote many recipes with kids in mind. Do any of you have any vegetarian-type cookbooks you enjoy?



~~~```~~~```~~~```~~~


I wanted to offer up proof that we are trying to put some of this stuff into practice. We went on a really nice hike later Saturday afternoon.



It was shady and really nice. There was quite an incline heading up, and then it was very flat coming back down the other side of the loop. We weren't sure how Kyle would do, and at 37 inches tall and 30 pounds, he's too big for the backpack carrier now. But he walked the whole way.



I'm not sure what the distance was, but we walked at a decent pace for about 25 minutes or so, and then we took it really slow for the last 25 minutes, because we had to indulge one of the all-time-favorite nature activities: throwing rocks into water.


To top it off, when we got home, I kicked the soccer ball around in the driveway for a little while with Amanda.



7 comments:

Andrea said...

Jen
That's great!!
The hike looks fun.
As far as vegetarian cookbooks, I find some really good vegetarian recipes in old "Cooking Light" magazines. (I know, I know, the magazine thing.)

Mollie Katzen's "The Moosewood Cookbook" is good.
Nava Atlas' "The Vegetarian Family Cookbook" or something like that.

If I think of more, I'll let you know!

Beck said...

Fun hike!
I have the Moosewood cookbooks.

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

We love, love, love the booksale at the library! The only time I didn't like it was when I saw my perfectly-good-condition-like-new-hardback books I had donated to the library in the sale pile for a QUARTER. Yes, it will raise money for the library but ebay would have fetched me more money!

These were good DK books they didn't even have in circulation, even!!! Yes, I'm still a little bitter...

Jen Rouse said...

what a nice weekend it sounds like you had!

Sarah said...

Moosewood cookbooks are great! As is the Vegetarian Epicure (book two) - i've had those cookbooks forever, but with the emergence of that crazy world wide web i often get my recipes online (epicurious.com, recipezaar.com) and sometimes modify meaty recipes to be veg.

I love the stories and photos of the kids. Do you think that someone told Amanda that she talks to much (a friend maybe?). I'm really glad she talks to you about things like taht. I know that sometimes mother-daughter relationships can be tough, but so important. I fought with my mom night-and-day from age 12-19, but now she's my best ally.

Cheers!

Lori said...

What a nice family time - and great hiking grounds. It looks (and sounds) like you had a wonderful weekend.

Katrina said...

I love this post and the glimpse into your weekend! It really is great that Amanda can talk to you so honestly about that kind of stuff. Camden usually does too (although sometimes he definitely keeps things inside), and I pray that continues into adolescence. I love all the pictures -- the hike looks great, and it sounds like you had some wonderful family time.