Saturday, July 07, 2007

We Now Return to Our Regularly Scheduled Browser

My laptop is ancient. We've had it for four years, which in computer years equals seventy-nine years old. It has served us well, and the even-more-senior citizen desktop computer still continues to run well for the children's computer games and internet access, in spite of the fact that it uses the Windows 2000 operating system. Anyway, the memory has gotten a little clogged, with digital photos and my itunes library, both of which were not so common four years ago.

So, I often visit my Add/Remove Programs section of the Control Panel to see how I can create a little bit more space. I also went through my three years of digital picture files and pared them down a bit, getting rid of duplicates and less-than-stellar photos.

It was on one of these visits to Add/Remove Programs that I saw that I had both the older version and the newer version of Firefox installed. So, I removed the older one. Only that suddenly left me with no Firefox at all! Woe is me! My husband is not convinced that Firefox is the way to go, and insists on holding on to Internet Explorer. So, since it had been removed, I decided to be the bigger spouse, and sacrifice my favorite browser for the good of the a few extra MB on the computer. So for a week or so, I slugged and trudged through the world wide web using IE. Clicking through to read new Read Together signups on Mr. Linky was often more than the poor little browser could handle, causing a complete freeze-up. See, I'm a multi-window user. I cannot simply perform one task at a time--I need to check my email, compose a blog post, find a link to include in my post, read someone else's blog. . . . you get the picture. IE could just not keep up with me. This does not even mention my very favorite feature of Firefox--the auto spell-check. Anything I type, be it an email or a comment on a blog post is spell-checked as I go, with a little red line alerting me that perhaps I have misspelled a word.

So, Firefox is back. I would like to play homage to it by employing a favorite device of mine--the cheesy song*. Thank you, Neil Diamond (without whom the cheesy song humor punch might die out). I'm sorry I ever let you go, Firefox.

Hello, my friend, hello
It's good to need you so
It's good to love you like I do
And to feel this way
When I hear you say
Hello

*Have you seen the commercial for the turn-by-turn navigational system? That gives me a chuckle every time, as I hear the opening cords of the following Bonnie Tyler song.

9 comments:

Rodrigo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer said...

I *just* downloaded Firefox yesterday to clear up a problem I was having with my email program, and I'm hooked already!! Glad you got yours back! :)

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I have never tried Firefox, but not I am curious! I am glad you are surfing happily once again!

Lesley said...

Ha!

I only use Firefox, after my husband first introduced it to me. Since then, he's gone back to the dark side with the newest version of IE, but I remain loyal to Firefox. I love it!

By the way, I tried emailing you but not sure if it made it through spam filters. I drew your name for a prize for the armchair traveler challenge - you can pop over to my blog and read the first post for more info and/or email me at alifeinbooks[at]gmail[dot]com - thanks!

Beck said...

My husband is in charge of all such things for my computer. Should anything - God forbid - happen to him, my computer would likely be non-functional within minutes.

Noodle said...

I'm a Firefoxian too! :) I only use IE for Netflix Watch Now, since it doesn't work with Firefox.

***** said...

I am using both, but for blogging I mainly use Firefox. I have no idea why, but in setting off a new post, my IE is constantly claiming "I'm offline" and this went on my nerves that much, that I write all posts in Firefox.

And you are so true - using many windows at a time is surely not very comfortable with IE.

So heads up with your reconstruction :-)

Helen

Lee said...

Firefox rocks!
Now you just need an iMac.

Katrina said...

Ah, the 80's memories. That song (Total Eclipse) was one of my favorite songs -- because my life was filled with such lovelorn angst, of course!

Yes, the beloved Firefox. Its tabs and spell-checker are two things I can't live without. I make my husband use the desktop to surf the Internet, so he can use IE to his heart's content, while I use Firefox on my laptop. I'm working on him though... I think he occasionally clicks on the little fox now.