Friday, August 10, 2007

Luxury

I love hotels. I especially like them when I bid on them blindly through Priceline and secure a room at one-third to one-fourth of the lowest rate available on the website. I like scoping out the location and finding out how convenient it is. Such was the case with the Hotel Intercontinental, Boston. The hotel itself was gorgeous, featuring a large, yet warm lobby and friendly clerks working at the check-in desk. The room was spacious and beautiful, decorated modernly in dark wood and simple furniture. The bathroom was the biggest and most luxurious that I have seen. It featured a glassed in shower with two shower heads--the stationary one as well as one that was flexible and moved. The separate tub was deep, and also featured a shower head for washing off. The only thing that prevented it from being a completely pampering experience were the toiletries. It did feature a wonderful-smelling, clean-feeling soap, shampoo and conditioner (not that conditioning shampoo that some chains try to get away with) and a nice shower gel. However, I would have loved to see some of those special extras such as lotion or mouthwash.

When we returned to our room after a busy and fun day, Kyle was ready for bed with no coaxing. Amanda read a little and then turned off her light at our urging. Terry followed suit. I read a bit, and he was snoring softly a few minutes after he turned out his light, but I wasn't tired. I finally closed my novel, and slept, but not soundly. I had to use the restroom and adjust the thermostat two or three times. I woke up whenever one of the children cried out in the garbled speech of sleep. Quite a few emergency vehicles made a middle-of-the-night driveby, awaking me another time. By 6:15, in spite of the wonderful hotel black-out curtains, I knew I was awake for the day. I did stay in bed and doze a bit for another hour, but then I got up and took my pillow and novel into the bathroom, and put the bathtub to a dry use as a lounger. Another hour later and I was dressed and ready to go, yet no one in my family had stirred.


So I escaped.

The freedom of being out, alone, by myself felt a little illicit and thrilling. I walked down the street by the water, enjoying the cool air and bright sunshine. I got a cup of coffee and sat outside, alone, by myself, to sit, sip and write. In my hasty retreat, I had not brought my book or even my notebook, but I put the back of the hotel-issue map of downtown and a receipt or two to good use. Less than an hour later, I decided that everyone should be awake (and if they weren't, they should be), so I got another coffee for Terry and headed back to the hotel to enjoy the day with my family.

10 comments:

Shauna said...

I've always chickened out at the last minute when considering Priceline! Do you have any tips for using their system?

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

Yes, yes, Shauna I do! I will do a whole post about it. I've been meaning to for ages. Maybe I'll post it as a Works for Me Wednesday this week!

Lori said...

You are such an adventurous gal - Priceline and escaping! The escape in the morning sounds like such a wonderful idea... recharging even if it is in the morning.

MommySecrets said...

How fun! I love priceline & hotwire. I usually do my comparison research via orbitz, then bid accordingly. I've gotten some super-great deals!

Stephanie said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time!!

***** said...

This sounds just too great! :-)
Thanks also for the book review about "One Year Off" - the idea itself sounds marvellous...

Have a good Sunday,
Helen

Katrina said...

Ooo, I love that you escaped! That sounds so wonderful!

Also, I'd like to hire you as our travel agent when we finally get around to regular vacations again. You always get such great deals with Priceline, while I have never even tried it out.

Susanne said...

The escape sounded wonderful.

I tried to do priceline this year but chicked out. Do you bid on certain hotels or just take what they give you after you bid? Have you ever had problems with it?

Dianne said...

Yeah, Priceline scares me! I'll look forward to reading your post on it.

Sheila said...

Priceline is awesome!

We use the website called biddingfortravel.com which helps you know what to bid.

Don't be afraid!