Thursday, August 30, 2007

I'm Back, Baby. . . I'm Back!



Kyle and Amanda have a special relationship. She's 5 1/2 years older than he is, and he definitely looks up to her. From the time he was a baby, he thought she was great. He watched her all the time, she stopped his fits, she made him laugh. As he grew, she took interest in his new abilities and emerging personality.




In the last six to eight months, she's been happy that he has become a somewhat suitable playmate, (although now that she's almost nine, the "fun" of a little brother is beginning to wear off a bit). Several times over the summer I noticed that when he was excited about something, such as seeing a helicopter outside, or a funny scene on television, he would say, " 'Danda, look!" That filled me with 80% of "Wow, I'm glad that he loves his big sis so much, and that I'm not the one that he always turns to," and 20% of, "What happened? I'm not the one that he always turns to."

However, this week with Amanda back at school, it's been all about me. Kyle and I have had some good times together. I've sat with him at the table while he colored with markers, and proudly observed him as he made a circle and called it a zero. When I asked him if he could make a one, he did that, too. I bought him one of those watercolor coloring books, and so another morning, he painted Thomas and Percy and apples throughout the day.

I said yes to his requests:

"Mommy, will you play ball with me on the carpet?"

"Wanna come outside with me?"

"You want to color, too?"

In addition to that, I just as I had hoped, I have turned over the back-to-school leaf. I've decluttered and unpiled my desk, Kyle's room, a kitchen cabinet, and a linen closet.

So, to quote a favorite sitcom, "I'm back, Baby. . . I'm back!"

6 comments:

Org Junkie said...

Congrats on getting organized and for having a great time with your son! I love to watch the bond with my two other kids with the little one. He follows them around everywhere and they are so patient with him even when he makes them watch Dora over and over again...lol.

Lisa said...

I got to ahev times like that with my son when the girls were in school. I thought he would be upset at the girls being homeschooled now, but it's acty been great. He loves the extra 'friends' to play with while I do household tasks. ;O)

Enjoy these moments. They'll last a life time.

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I enjoyed spending some time with my little one this week too. I wasn't so good about the cleaning, but I am going to start that next week!

At A Hen's Pace said...

One of my favorite things about our large family is watching the various sibling relationships develop--all unique!

What a blessing that your kids have each other.

:)

Jeanne

Kathleen Marie said...

That is such a sweet story. When my eldest Timoni went off to college I told her that whatever relationship she wanted with her baby brother Joey(11 years younger) was up to her. It was her responsibility and I am so proud of her. She calls to talk to just him and over Thanksgiving she is flying him to NYC to meet with their other brother Luke. I am so happy Luke will be celebrating the holiday with family. As for me, I can wait until Christmas to be with all my kids. ☺

Katrina said...

Oh, I had grand plans to organize and declutter, beginning with the first day of school... but it looks like that'll have to wait until the germs leave our house.

I love the pictures, and I love that Kyle calls Amanda "'Danda" -- that is so cute!