Monday, August 06, 2007

Red Books

I love nonfiction. Reading for information is a pleasure to me. If the non-fiction is something like a memoir or a travelogue and includes humor and a story then it's almost my favorite thing to read. Sometimes in my quest for information I focus on what I "should" be reading (you know, something that will help me be a better mother or wife or woman), and I bypass fiction. When I neglect it too long I lose that unquenchable thirst for reading, because fiction is the escape. Fiction can be art as the storyteller transports the reader to a world that comes from his or her imagination but is so real that it could exist. See my review of a great new novel, Woman in Red by Eileen Goudge over at 5 Minutes for Mom.

I also reviewed another book: The Little Red Book of Wisdom (do you see the connection?). It's another compelling read--instructional, but not preachy and it gets right to the core of who you are (or who you should be anyway). You can find my review of that book here.

Both offer chances to win your own copy, so click on over to check them out.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

I always look forward to your Monday morning reviews and these two did not disappoint. I'll be diving into both of those books before long!

I like reading for information, too, but reading fiction is my first love, I think. I love the escape, the relaxation, the "other world"-ness of a good novel.

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

I'm such a non fiction reader too.

I'm enjoying your series over at 5 mins for mom. You rock! :)