Sunday, August 12, 2007

What a Difference a Year Makes


These pictures were taken on our beach trip last year (you can read the whole post about that trip here). I knew that Kyle would probably have a much different experience this year. Last year he didn't want to walk on the sand (even with his shoes on), and as you see here, he wasn't too thrilled with the ocean either. But when I looked at Amanda here, I was surprised to see that she looked different, anyway. I think that she enjoyed her trip more this year, too. Last year I wrote about her friendship at the beach, and this year she made even more friends with even less effort. I think that in years to come we might have to remind her that it is called a family vacation for a reason. But for this year, it allowed her to really enjoy her time at the pool and the beach with others her age.

For me, a big difference was a little more freedom (to read and relax), and a little less blogging! Looking back, I posted almost every day, but that was back in my first few months of blogging, and I was a little unbalanced. This time I posted a book review that I had already written, a link to my 5 Minutes for Books posts (that were also previously written), and one original post. That sounds like a lot, but it did allow me to be mostly unplugged from the www--reading and writing, and that was a good thing.

Terry and I both came away thinking that it was a really great trip. Everyone had fun, there was very little stress, and just as I wanted, a nice mix between scheduled activities and downtime.

A few more details and pictures will probably be forthcoming, but for now, here are some pictures proving Kyle's new-found love for water and sand, and a picture of my big-kid Amanda and little brother Kyle at our favorite ice cream place, Cape Cod Creamery. You should also know that ice cream is a very important part of Snapshot family vacations (and probably daily life in general).





8 comments:

Stephanie said...

It looks beautiful! There are some lovely beaches in RI but we've never taken the kids. Mainly cause the water is so FREEZING COLD!

You've inspired me to try to get to the beach before the air temperature starts to match the water temperature.

Laura said...

I love this picture of them in the blue chairs! Isn't it fun to do the last year/this year comparison of them and see how much they've grown and changed?

Beck said...

Those pohotos are lovely - and look how big your kids are!

summershine said...

What cute pics!

Susanne said...

Great pics! What a difference a year makes is right. So fun to look at. We just got back too, so I'm getting caught up with reading posts before I put one up.

Rachelle G. said...

Great pictures! Looks like a fun vacation.

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time. The pictures are great!

Katrina said...

Love the pictures! I can't believe it's been a whole year since that post about Amanda a friendship...wow. And I'm glad to see Kyle has made friends with the water and the sand. :)