Sunday, September 30, 2007

Do as I Say, Not as I Do

We've been looking for a new church. It's a decision that we've been wrestling with for some time. It's always difficult, but one thing that helps is that our children are willing to separate and outgoing enough not to mind going to a new class with total strangers. By the time I was in upper elementary school as Amanda is, I did not like visiting a class at my grandmother's church, but she doesn't mind. However, even if she thinks church was okay, she still usually maintains, "I want to go to our old church with my friends."

This morning as we were going for our third visit to a church, we heard that familiar refrain. I tried to give her some encouragement and advice:

"Since you're going to Sunday School now, I'm sure you'll get to know people. We just have to keep coming and give you more opportunities to make friends."

"But it's mostly boys--only a few girls, and most of them are in third grade. . . . " she wailed, forgetting that since she is one of the youngest fourth graders, she is closer in age to many third graders than the older fourth graders, and that in fact a couple of her close friends are in the third grade.

"You only went to that class once. There may even be new people there today," I continued hopefully.

"Yeah, and no hitting--boys or girls," Kyle interjected.

Sounds like those little chats on the way to preschool about how we treat our friends are at least sticking somewhere. I'm glad that he's willing to share all that sage advice I'm doling out.

11 comments:

Beck said...

No hitting - boys OR girls - is excellent advice for making friends, no matter how old you are. Good luck with your church search!

Stephanie said...

I remember hating visiting new churches! Changing churches is stressful for everyone. We've done that twice in the past 3 years.

Dianne said...

I hope you find the right place for your family soon, Jennifer. I can imagine what a tough situation this would be for a family with kids.

Sisterlisa said...

Jennifer, I would be heart broken if I left my church. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult this must be for you. ((hugs))

Katrina said...

Oh, that's so cute of Kyle. I think they love the opportunity to give advice, since they are on the receiving end so often! Praying for you guys...

Big Mama said...

Isn't that right out of "How to Win Friends and Influence People"?

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

We are in the midst of a church hunt ourselves and I know the feelings you have...it is a weird thing to go thru. We visited a church last week and Cleo announced to the greeter, "we're just here trying you out..."

I about died! (but she was right!)

Beth@Sportsmomma said...

Jennifer- we're starting to look for a new church as well and I'm wondering how the boys will do! Love Kyle's advice to Amanda!!!

e-Mom said...

Church shopping is such a challenge. I pray you find a place your whole family can call home. :~)

Speaking of homes, you might be interested to know that Marriage Monday has a new home. If you're planning to post your marriage wisdom any time this week (open topic) I'd love to have you link up at Chrysalis.

Blessings, e-Mom

Susanne said...

Great advice coming from one so young! :v)

Praying for your and your home church hunt. I know how hard that is.

Jen Rouse said...

Our church has been going through some tough times right now, and we've wrestled with whether we might leave or not. As for now, we're staying, but leaving friends is the toughest part of even considering it.