Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My Life, Unscripted

Tricia Goyer has a new book for teens encouraging them to think through some of their choices in advance. I will be featuring my full review of My Life, Unscripted in an upcoming 5 Minutes for Books column, but for now let me allow Tricia Goyer to tell you more about her new book:

TG: With real-life scripts, screenwriting terms, and timely topics, My Life, Unscripted helps teen girls explore their own inner struggles and outward relationships. It's my hope that they'll learn the importance of "scripting" their own responses before challenging life-situations arise.

Is it true that much of your story shows up in this pages?

TG: Gulp. Yes, I'm afraid so. In fact, I shared parts of my story that I swore I'd never tell a soul. My teenage script (portrayed in the book as Trish Valley) wasn't one I'd suggest my daughter, nor my readers, to copy. The introductory scene of Trish Valley shows a scene where Trish urges her mom to follow Trish's boyfriend into a parking lot so she can "spill her news." The other girl in the car and her boyfriend's response to Trish's pregnancy are unfortunately not fiction.

Why did you decide to share these stories?

TG: First because I want girls to understand the heartache of unwise decisions. I want them to be able to relate to me. . . rather than feeling preached at. Also, I wanted to share my stories because many young women have faced the same type of situations, or they know friends who have. And finally because they are great object lessons for the importance of following biblical truth. That is something I did learn.

Although it was hard to talk about my past mistakes, I knew this was an ideal opportunity to share real-life truths with my teenaged daughter. Each person walking this earth has regrets. Our talks showed me that instead of hiding my post troubles (and hoping my kids didn't find out) sharing my mistakes could actually give my daughter a better understanding to why values and wise decision-making skills are important.

So now you're having a heart-to-heart with other teens through this book?

I sure hope that's how they see it! Those first talks with my daughter brought us closer, but I knew not every girl has had someone to offer advice such as "build a supporting cast of people you can trust," or "consider the character qualities you'd like for a leading man."

^ # ^

Tricia Goyer is sponsoring a contest that runs between September 16 and October 26 while her blog tour is going on, and you're invited to participate.

Did you live your teen years unscripted? Or did you think it through and make wise choices? Would you like to win a basket of prizes? Tricia would love to have you write a sample script from your teen years and post it along with information about this book! It could be where you make a good choice ... or a not so good one. Then share briefly how God's Word helps you as you script your life!

The person with most creative blog post during the tour will win a $100 gift certificate to Amazon or a gift basket which includes starbucks coffee, amazon gift card, an itunes gift card and more. There will also be 5 runner up small gift baskets. Tricia would love to have you write a sample script from your teen years and post it along with information about this book. It could be where you make a good choice ... or a not so good one. Then share briefly how God's Word helps you as you script your life.

If you decide to post on your blog about this, just leave a comment here and I'll make sure that it gets entered.

1 comment:

Tricia Goyer said...

Jennifer,

Thanks so much for hosting my book and I on your blog!

You're the best!

Tricia Goyer
www.triciagoyer.com