- I am a little cheap. I could blame it on my husband, who is a lot frugal (Another time I will have to share a story about a newlywed fight involving keys being thrown into an apartment wall over a grocery bill). However, if I blamed it all on him, that would be unfair. Even in high school and college, when the money I made from my part-time job was just mine to blow, I would ask, "Is this worth this much money? I could buy two cheap shirts for this price, so perhaps I will."
- I am fashion-challenged. I probably spend more on books or little food treats (bagels, coffee, etc) in a week than some other people, so it's not purely a budget issue. Clothes are just not what drive me. I am a casual girl, and I do try to stay somewhat current with getting the right cut of a T-shirt for the season and avoiding the mom jeans, but beyond that I may be hopeless.
- Kyle does not favor walking around in a department store, mall, or discount outlet for any length of time. Very rarely, he will still sit in a stroller, but my time is still limited there, and if he is parked beside a rack of clothes, it is likely that he will pull some clothes off the rack or walk away from me by using Fred Flintstone kind of driving moves. So, shopping is not the preferred way for us to spend our free time.
- The Monk and Neagle CD that you've been hearing so much about all over bloggittyville is out today! It really is as good as you've heard--mellow, but upbeat as well with great lyrics. They are also touring (with MercyMe) and you can find their schedule on their website as well. They aren't coming anywhere near me, and that is disappointing, since I like both of those groups, and travel and leisure is one thing that Terry and I are able to spend money on.
- I bought a new pair of jeans yesterday! That's been on my list for a while, but with it being summer, I wasn't in a rush to find some. Since it's been quite cool this week, I've needed some jeans, and I'm sort of down to one pair that I really like, and another one that I like when they aren't too tight, and ahem, I think that they shrunk. I followed Big Mama's guidelines, and I am happy with them. They are a dark wash, with a bit of a stretch to them, and have stitching on the pockets, and I bought them at TJMaxx. It is one of our shopping destinations since it's ten minutes away, and I can get in and out quickly if needed, and it appeals to my frugal nature. This pair is by Bandolino (yes, the shoe company), and I couldn't find a picture of them since they are probably "so last season," hence their appearance at TJMaxx. They cost less than $20, so I'm happy. I'm going to keep my eye open for a couple of more pairs in different styles and brands over the next month.
- I was at Kohl's and saw their new Kohl's Cares for Kids promotion (it might not be so new since that was the first time I had been in Kohl's since I heard of the Sandra Boynton promotion many many months ago). They had four of Jane Yolen's dinosaur books (see my review of her latest one here), and three or four adorable stuffed dinos--each for only $5! Kyle carried around a very cute dino, but then he disobeyed and lost the privilege of buying it, because I'm cracking down! Unfortunately he didn't really care, but I will return and get a book or two and a dino or two and save them for Christmas or another treat.
- While at Kohl's (and TJMaxx), I was not able to find a nice pair of pants for Kyle to wear to my brother-in-law's wedding. I did find a cute oxford shirt, but all the pants are so casual with cargo pockets and zippers, and that's not the look I'm going for. I need to go back to Children's Place, where they did have some plain pants when I was there last month.
Have you made any great shopping finds lately? Do you live to shop or shop to live?