Tuesday, September 18, 2007

This and That--the Shopping Edition

I am really not a shopper. There are a few reasons for this:
  • I am a little cheap. I could blame it on my husband, who is a lot frugal (Another time I will have to share a story about a newlywed fight involving keys being thrown into an apartment wall over a grocery bill). However, if I blamed it all on him, that would be unfair. Even in high school and college, when the money I made from my part-time job was just mine to blow, I would ask, "Is this worth this much money? I could buy two cheap shirts for this price, so perhaps I will."
  • I am fashion-challenged. I probably spend more on books or little food treats (bagels, coffee, etc) in a week than some other people, so it's not purely a budget issue. Clothes are just not what drive me. I am a casual girl, and I do try to stay somewhat current with getting the right cut of a T-shirt for the season and avoiding the mom jeans, but beyond that I may be hopeless.
  • Kyle does not favor walking around in a department store, mall, or discount outlet for any length of time. Very rarely, he will still sit in a stroller, but my time is still limited there, and if he is parked beside a rack of clothes, it is likely that he will pull some clothes off the rack or walk away from me by using Fred Flintstone kind of driving moves. So, shopping is not the preferred way for us to spend our free time.
With that broad disclaimer, I would like to share a few things from my small world of shopping this week:
  • The Monk and Neagle CD that you've been hearing so much about all over bloggittyville is out today! It really is as good as you've heard--mellow, but upbeat as well with great lyrics. They are also touring (with MercyMe) and you can find their schedule on their website as well. They aren't coming anywhere near me, and that is disappointing, since I like both of those groups, and travel and leisure is one thing that Terry and I are able to spend money on.
  • I bought a new pair of jeans yesterday! That's been on my list for a while, but with it being summer, I wasn't in a rush to find some. Since it's been quite cool this week, I've needed some jeans, and I'm sort of down to one pair that I really like, and another one that I like when they aren't too tight, and ahem, I think that they shrunk. I followed Big Mama's guidelines, and I am happy with them. They are a dark wash, with a bit of a stretch to them, and have stitching on the pockets, and I bought them at TJMaxx. It is one of our shopping destinations since it's ten minutes away, and I can get in and out quickly if needed, and it appeals to my frugal nature. This pair is by Bandolino (yes, the shoe company), and I couldn't find a picture of them since they are probably "so last season," hence their appearance at TJMaxx. They cost less than $20, so I'm happy. I'm going to keep my eye open for a couple of more pairs in different styles and brands over the next month.
  • I was at Kohl's and saw their new Kohl's Cares for Kids promotion (it might not be so new since that was the first time I had been in Kohl's since I heard of the Sandra Boynton promotion many many months ago). They had four of Jane Yolen's dinosaur books (see my review of her latest one here), and three or four adorable stuffed dinos--each for only $5! Kyle carried around a very cute dino, but then he disobeyed and lost the privilege of buying it, because I'm cracking down! Unfortunately he didn't really care, but I will return and get a book or two and a dino or two and save them for Christmas or another treat.
  • While at Kohl's (and TJMaxx), I was not able to find a nice pair of pants for Kyle to wear to my brother-in-law's wedding. I did find a cute oxford shirt, but all the pants are so casual with cargo pockets and zippers, and that's not the look I'm going for. I need to go back to Children's Place, where they did have some plain pants when I was there last month.
So it looks like I will try to get some shopping done while Kyle is at preschool on Thursday. He also needs shoes (that aren't crocs or sandals), and Target came up short in the non-athletic toddler boy footwear as well.

Have you made any great shopping finds lately? Do you live to shop or shop to live?

9 comments:

Org Junkie said...

I enjoy posts like these. It is so interesting to see what others are buying and get some ideas. Well done on the jeans!! Jean shopping is the worst and I really needed jeans as well and couldn't find any that fit properly (I also live in a VERY small town). Would you believe I eventually did at the local thrift store of all places for $4.00. Score!!!

Laura

Stephanie said...

All this talk about buying jeans makes me want to go shopping. I'm with you on spending money. I'd rather buy books and Dr. Pepper than new clothes.

If you are looking for plain khaki pants that won't be worn too often, I can usually find some at Wal-Mart or Sears. The Sears near me now has a whole section for Lands End (which I LOVE). My guys are now about a size apart so I spend a little more on Will's clothes knowing that Ben will wear them also. Now if I can just figure out how to justify buying pricy clothes for Ellie. = )

Dianne said...

Funny, Jenn. I went out the other night to shop for something to wear to work. Came home with a pair of jeans. (Levi 505 - the only thing I can find that looks right). which was semi-justified because i could wear them to work Friday on our once-a-year jean day (yes you read me right) which we have to pay $5 for as a United Way promotion. Galls me but I'll do anything to wear jeans to work! oh for Halloween, I always dress up as a Steeler fan - jeans & sweatshirt, ballcap and a little face paint - works every time and it's free!!!

i'm with you - not a shopper either!! but i just listened to that monk and neagle CD and it's on my amazon list :)

An Ordinary Mom said...

I myself am quite frugal and fashion-challenged as well. I am still on the quest for some new jeans.

Beck said...

I don't shop - in part because I think we may actually be married to the same man, and also because I just don't like clothes shopping. Do NOT get me started on books and magazines, though - I shudder to think how much of our household income goes towards those!

daisyaday said...

How about music? I think I would rather buy CDs than clothes, and I like to shop for clothes ... somewhat. :)

I read your review on Monk & Neagle, and followed the link...I'm so glad I found your blog. I like it--es muy bien!

(Don't write to me in Spanish, though. That's as good as it gets.)

And I'm going to check out that book about After the Mommy Years, cuz I'm coming up on that soon. Well, in about five years or so, but with the way my years are speeding past right now it'll be here in no time at all. All I have to do is blink a couple of times!

Katrina said...

I really, really, really don't like clothes shopping. For that reason, I tend to find a brand or two where I know my size and order online -- Land's End, LL Bean, etc. I'm a casual girl at heart, so a couple pairs of jeans and some comfy fleecy-type shirts will get me through the fall.

However, I really do like shopping for books and could do that for hours on end.

Recent finds? A comfortable, casual knit hoodie from Land's End arrived at my house last week and I love it.

Veronica Mitchell said...

I'll put it this way: the only clothes I have bought for myself this year was when Good Will had a 99 cent sale on all women's tops.

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I am with you on the shopping in several ways. We are frugal as well (my hubby is VERY frugal). I also don't enjoy clothes shopping. I am casual and try not to be too out of style, but no one will ever call me trendy. I enjoy buying for my kids much more than myself.

I do love those Yolen books. I really get excited about getting quality hardback books for $5!