Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Loving Well

Do you know this woman? If you've been to any church in the last ten years, it's a good chance you've attended one of her Bible studies, or read one of her books, or at least know someone who has. Beth Moore has encouraged many women to study God's word, to know Him intimately, and to let Him change her. As this next clip shows, she also knows how to have fun:



That clip is taken from a four-session kit that was produced to use at a Ladies' Retreat Weekend event. The talks are taken from a Living Proof Live that she recorded in Tennessee. I saw one of these events in New York, and she made reference to what she had taught there--"Loving Well," (even those who are unlovable). Although this is packaged as a "retreat in a box" there are many other ways that it could be used: for a girls' weekend for a small group of friends; for a short 4 week Bible study (perhaps an every-other week summer study); or for a series of ladies' events, where the video session was watched, one of the included ice-breaker games was played, and small-group discussion took place.

White Post Media sent me this kit in exchange for my honest feedback. There are many great things about this kit, and just a few things that I wish were different.

The strongest positive element is Beth Moore. At my church, if you say "Beth Moore," women will turn out to hear her teaching. She's entertaining and engaging, and the teaching is life-changing. If you are familiar with her, this series will not disappoint.

A small negative is that when I think of retreat teaching, I don't usually think of watching a video of someone teach an audience of 19,000 in an arena in Tennessee. She does interact with her audience there, but I'm not sure that translates to the home viewer. I also would have liked to see an outline for notetaking included on the CD-Rom that has other files that can be reproduced for the group.

However, she tries to counteract this by introducing the video segments on the DVD herself, and clowning around with her worship leader Travis Cottrell. I think that it works. Additionally, she and Travis explain the icebreaker or game that is suggested for each session. I would obviously suggest one of the leaders is familiar with the activity and knows how to explain it, but I would let the others in on the fun by letting them watch Beth and Travis (who are both avid gameplayers, which gives them a point in my book) explain.

Another helpful piece in this kit is the Leader's Guide. I have been a part of planning five ladies' retreats or weekend events, including the first time that our church put together their own retreat (after previously attending events planned by a retreat center). This thin booklet would have been very helpful, suggesting the types of leaders you should have, a schedule, and tips for leading small groups after the session.



The kit is packaged nicely in a box with a handle that can be transported easily and includes
  • 2 DVDs with 4 teaching sessions and icebreakers, games, and some other fun clips of Beth and Travis
  • 1 CD-Rom with further resources and information for leaders
  • Leader Guide
  • 28-Day Journal which can also be purchased separately for each attendee as a follow-up devotional, OR used after each session if the kit is used in a weekly Bible study format.
  • 48 Postcards to publicize the event
  • 2 Posters
  • 1 Tote Bag**, which can also be purchased separately as a giveaway to each guest.
The price is also fair--$99.95. You can buy it or simply find out more at www.lovingwell.tv.

**I'm giving away my black and green tote inscribed with Loving Well Retreat (pictured above). If you'd like a chance to win it, please leave a comment on this post. Tell me something interesting about yourself, your experiences with ladies' retreats, or games, or Beth Moore. Make it good!

I'll draw a name on Sunday. I'll ship to the U.S. or Canada.

9 comments:

L.L. Barkat said...

Yes, we have a group that's using one of her studies right now. Somehow the video component is not the best (we usually have live teachers!). But the material is generally thought provoking.

Org Junkie said...

Okay believe it or not I only discovered Beth Moore late last year through blogging. I've since been to one of her simulcasts through a church here and thoroughly enjoyed it!

I don't know if I'd like to put a retreat like this on myself but I sure would like to attend someone else's!! It sounds fantastic!

Laura

Laura @ Laura Williams' Musings said...

I've never been to a ladies retreat and have only heard of Beth Moore recently... yes I live in the boonies under a rock, 2 feet down. lol

interesting thing about me.... um.. I was in Woman's Day magazine in 2001 for my couponing... I was featured in their Save Like A Super Shopper article. (may not be what you were looking for)

Becky said...

I've read a book by Beth but have never heard her speak. I think it would be awesome whether by DVD or in person. I did do an online Bible Study with her and just love her teaching style! I would love to sit down and have a cup of tea with her!

Susan said...

Oh my goodness, I love Beth Moore. I have wanted so bad to have her video series to have in Germany. Many of the girls speak English and pretty sure they could understand her accent. There is nothing here in Germany and have desired to do something with the girls. So please enter me. I am coming to the US for Christmas so I have a US shipping address!

Stephanie said...

I did this series with a small group back in the spring. We met each week for the sessions. Some friends of mine worked through it as a weekend retreat in one lady's home.

Interesting tidbit...I attended college in the same Arkansas town where Beth grew up. She "met Jesus" at the church I attended while there and where my wedding was held. It's always weird for me to hear her talk on cds/videos about AR and know exactly what she's talking about even though I'm sitting surrounded by Rhode Islanders who haven't a clue and can barely understand her accent. = )

Stephanie said...

I meant to add that I totally agree with your analysis. I think taping her in a small retreat-type setting might have served the purpose better. We skipped the icebreakers, which I'm sorry for but had no control over.

Jennifer said...

I'm not a real "jump on the bandwagon for the popular speaker" kind of person, but I have been seriously impacted by Beth Moore's books. Twice when we have had Beth Moore Bible Studies at our church, our family has been going through crisis...the birth of our preemie, and the death of my dad. One of my best friends went through both studies...and every week, it seemed, she would have some really deep *nugget* to share with me from the study that was *just* what I needed to hear that week. I have really been blessed by reading her books since, and would love to hear her...live *or* on video. :)

CanCan said...

I'm a missionary (home on furlough right now) and when I am on the field, I really miss just being able to participate in a womens Bible study (not be th facilitator). I have been so blessed to do 2 Beth Moore Bible Studies with the DVD companions while on the field. We did Believing God and the Fruits of the Spirit. Since I have been on furlough in March I have done the Loving Well study. I'm also a southerner (even a Texan for 2 years of my life) so I LOVE LOVE watching Beth Moore speak.
onlycancan@hotmail.com