Saturday, October 27, 2007

October Showers Bring . . . .

At 5:15 pm last night, the wailing coming from my home was heard through the streets of my town.

Amanda has just found out that her father-daughter hayride and campfire was called on account of rain. Kyle, not to be outdone in the drama department, mourned equally loudly over the fact that I would not let him have a Saltine cracker twenty minutes before dinner.

The mayhem continued for the entire twenty minutes until Dad got home. Kyle was quelled with his pasta and meatballs, but Amanda was still disappointed (even though the event will still take place next weekend). Terry and I decided that we'd create a new event: Family Movie Night. We ate a quick dinner, and Amanda and I went to rent a movie and buy some ice cream, while Terry got Kyle ready for bed, because what's a special family night without ice cream?

In the car, we talked. We talked about movies, teen superstars (most of whom my sweet Innocent doesn't even know), peer pressure, and why Parental Guidance (PG) is a factor in entertainment. It was one of those conversations that you can't contrive. A successful one simply emerges out of the moment.

We really enjoyed our movie. The fact that we enjoyed the ice cream goes without saying. I wouldn't have traded that conversation in the car for anything. I think I've learned to look for unexpected blessings in the midst of my disappointments.

9 comments:

Michele@Philoxenos said...

I'm always afraid the crying inside my house can be heard out on the street and I'm afraid of what people will think.
I know you do BSF and your final comment reminded me of something our TL said of Mary - hers was an unplanned pregnancy. What a unexpected blessing!

Stephanie said...

I'm still trying to find the unexpected blessing in locking the keys in the van at Walmart last night. I'm just NOT seeing it.

Susanne said...

I just love when it's summer and all the windows are open and a child or two in dayhome is having a meltdown. And what's interesting is my neighbor now has a dayhome too, so we have two houses side by side where weeping and wailing and nashing of teeth occur on a regular basis. Fun, fun, fun.

Dad said...

Maybe we will give as much credit for that conversation to my wonderful, intelligent grandaughter as we do to her thougtful mother.
LOVE

mer said...

Our Friday night tradition is pizza and a movie. Sometimes we make our own pizza, sometimes we order or get take-n-bake, but we ALWAYS have ice cream for dessert. The trickiest part is finding a movie we can all watch! My kids love it though and it's one of my favorite times of the week.

Beck said...

It's funny, these little unexpected happy moments, isn't it?

Katrina said...

Sounds like a potentially rough evening was wonderfully redeemed!

Barb @ A Chelsea Morning said...

Family movie night (with ice cream) is just a great idea. And I know what you mean about the conversation in the car. I love it when I suddenly find myself in the midst of a meaningful conversation with one of my girls. You're right. Sometimes the unexpected blessings truly are the best.

Heather said...

painful, bland, and disheartening.
i was answering the question about family movie night without the ice cream.
just kidding.
172 comments up there, eh? wow.