Monday, October 22, 2007

Queen for the Day

Yesterday was my birthday. Amanda has been telling me that I would be "Queen for the Day." She told me NOT to get up in the morning. I knew she was hatching something up, but since we were planning to go out to brunch after church, I also knew that I didn't need some sort of grand spread. Without letting her know that I was on to her, I set the coffepot up and told her that when she woke up, she could just press start. She did that, and sure enough, shortly after I heard the beans grinding, my coffee was delivered by a little servant wearing a purple bathrobe. She was so cheerful and perky. When she left, she said, "I'll check back later to see if you need anything else!" And she did. I got a refill, and also told her that Kyle was calling and was ready to get up. Terry got him ready for church, so I was able to read in bed while sipping my coffee.

After church we ate at my favorite restaurant. The sun was nice and warm, so in spite of a fairly long wait (anything over fifteen minutes is long with kids), we maintained our composure as we waited for our table. Breakfast did not disappoint.

Amanda presented me with her project--a card printed with all of her new fancy computer techniques (she loves to use fonts, WordArt, colors and clipart in Word). There were some graphics on the right side, but down the left side was an acrostic:

J -- Jazzy mommy!!!!

E -- Every day I love you.

N -- Never be mean to my mom!

N -- Never stops loving!

I -- Interestingly sweet.

F -- Family Person

E -- Every day you help me.

R -- Really, you're a great mom!! !! !!


Really, it's my pleasure.

It reminds me of the Mother's Day which fell a couple of weeks before Kyle was born. I woke up early that morning, and Terry wasn't in bed with me. Apparently I was sleeping the sleep of a woman in her third trimester (when she is actually able to sleep), and never heard Amanda come into our room after she had thrown up. I didn't hear all of the sheet changing and toilet flushing either. Now there are a lot of things that my husband does, but sick duty is not normally one of them. He didn't want me and the baby to catch it, so he gladly took over.

I found him on the sofa in the TV room outside her bedroom, where he ended up resting after it was obvious that this was going to keep happening every hour or so. I convinced him to go back to bed, since he hadn't really slept, and took his post on the sofa. By that time the worst had passed. When he went to church the next morning so that he could teach his Sunday School class, I gladly stayed home and cuddled the creature who helped me earn the title of Mother. It seemed a fitting way to celebrate the day.

One of the ways I invoked my Queen for the Day title yesterday was by playing a round of the All Aboard Thomas Game (Go Fish with Engines) with Terry, Kyle, and Amanda. Not necessarily the most pampering or self-indulgent way to spend a day, but it seemed a fitting way to celebrate.

13 comments:

Stephanie said...

What a nice way to spend a birthday!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! Happy Birthday!

Org Junkie said...

Happy Belated Birthday Jennifer! Sounds like a terrific birthday to me...oh how I enjoy lounging in bed in the morning reading. Like you that would really be a treat for me!

Laura

katrina said...

Sounds delightful! I love the acrostic -- very creative. And coffee + reading in bed = perfect.

Also (of course) any birthday that involves playing a game with the family is a winner in my book.

Beck said...

Happy birthday, Jennifer! It sounds like a terrific day.

Kathleen Marie said...

It sounds like a super sweet family birthday.

Be sure and stop by. I have a little award for you.

Hugs!

Helen said...

Wow, happy belated birthday. Amanda is so cool - that card rocks!

Lori said...

Happy Birthday Jennifer! I'm glad you had a wonderful day.

angeleyes Blue said...

Hapy b-lated Birthday. Enjoy these times because after elementary school comes mid-school where you happily become the SHORTEST in the family and THEN HIGH SCHOOL---AAGH!

I remember when my 2 were little we cancelled Mother's Day. it seemed like EVERY MOTHER'S DAY was spent in the emergency room at the hospital. One year, I even took car seats out the car and plunked them in the TV room and we watched movies ALL DAY! At least there were no hospital visits that year.

Teenagers are a very different breed of being. We laugh in my house often---got too or I would cry...

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY (BELATED!!!!)

Susanne said...

Happy Belated Birthday, Jennifer. Sounds like it was a lovely day. And Amanda's names thingy is so good!

HipWriterMama said...

A belated happy birthday!

Dianne said...

Happy belated birthday!! This warmed my heart, reading about your little purple servant! What a precious gift - herself and many accompanying memories!