Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Satisfied

Yesterday was a good day. It's rare to be able to say that as a mom (at least for me). In fact, I clearly remember one of my other "I might actually be a good mom" days, which proves how few and far between they are. Amanda was two. We had walked to the Starbucks in the shopping center near our home, getting fresh air and exercise. After stopping at the drug store where I ended up buying this cute Sesame Street activity set that was marked way down, she sat at Starbucks and played quietly while I drank coffee and worked on my Bible study lesson. Terry traveled frequently at that time, so often her dinner was whatever two year olds eat (pretzels? crackers? peanut butter and jelly?), but I had bought some kid TV dinners on sale, and that night I served her macaroni and cheese with a side of broccoli and she at it all. I felt like I had it all together.

Yesterday was no one big spectacular moment, but just a series of things like Kyle telling me, "Thank you for going on the bumpy roads," as we pulled up to preschool, coupled with the memory from the evening before when Amanda said, "I like that you said you think I'm more responsible."

After dropping Kyle off, I went to my very part-time job for a few hours, for which I've been very thankful since I am enjoying adding some sort of wage-earning into my mom-schedule. When I picked him up, he was absolutely beaming. We had a happy chat on the way home about his day, and he was already making plans for when we got home: "I don't want to take a nap yet. Wanna play a game? That red and yellow game?" (Don't ask me). We did play games--a few rounds of Lucky Ducks, which he won two out of three and this cute Go Fish fishing game, where I also got trounced.

While he napped, I sat outside on my front porch and blogged and emailed. It was a beautiful warmishly cool Fall afternoon. I was productive and refreshed.

When Amanda got home, I supervised her chore of cleaning the bathrooms. Afterwards when I said, "You did a great job, and I really appreciate it. It's not really worth complaining about, is it?" she actually said that it was fun.

While the siblings played nicely together, I worked on the laundry (washing, drying, and putting away two loads). The TV was barely on all day.

I greeted Terry with a smile and a kiss when he came home and I got a cheerful husband and a kiss in return.

This reads like a hodgepodge of "this is what we did today," but it's so much more to me. It's a written record that can stand in contrast to all those days when I feel (because I am) lazy, unmotivated, unproductive, and irritable. Doing it "right" isn't that much harder than making wrong choices all day.

9 comments:

Melissa Markham said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and your advice on how to help my daughter go back to sleep on her own. I enjoyed reading your post about your 'good' day. I don't blame you for writing it down, I do the same as those days seem to be rarer than the ones where I feel like I don't measure up!

Have a blessed day!

Sheila said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and offering advice on the name. I think I'm going to take your advice - word for word!

It is so important to remember the good days! Good for you for recording it.

Melissa @ From Melissa's Desk said...

Those "good days" make it all worth it, don't they?

Simply Stork said...

ahh nothing like a "good day" if we don't write them down or tell each other... how can we minister to each other and remember those good ol' days really do exist :o)
~simply stork~

Stephanie said...

I've recently realized how so much of my "bad day" is due to my own poor choices. It's that old self-discipline thing. Ugh! Not fun for 4 year-olds OR 32 year-olds!

Dianne said...

I'm glad you had a good day. Just as you said, it is a difference between the choices we make but you also made a choice to affirm yourself for the good choices. That's an important choice too, I'm learning, to see the good and not just the bad.

Katrina said...

It is interesting that a "good day" happens because of lots and lots of little choices that all blend into something wonderful. It's good to notice good days, to record them, to blog about them...

And your post was so much more than a "this is what we did today" post. It was a reminder of how the little things can make our kids' day, an encouragement to put forth a little effort and put aside my laziness... and it was sharing good news. That's always a good thing.

Beth@Sportsmomma said...

Jennifer- great post! Don't you just love days like that. They sure make the not so great days seem so much less "Not so great"!!

Beck said...

There is NOTHING like a good day - how cheering!