Tuesday, October 23, 2007

The Superficial Change!

Y'all cracked me up with your interest in my forthcoming superficial change. So since you really really wanted to know, now's the time to tell you.

So, I tackled my closet last week in order to get ready to get serious about fashion! Okay, not too serious, but I am finally to the point where I am willing to concede that perhaps I should change my consideration about the clothes I buy. Formerly my chief concerns have been that the clothes were
  • wash-and-wear
  • no ironing required
  • comfortable
  • cheap
As you can see, a little change will go a long way. What spurred this change? For several years I've had friends who were more fashion-conscious than me. Some of them were more fashionable because they shopped more and spent more, but others simply bought better--better quality, better fit, better style. Big Mama and BooMama started talking fashion on their podcasts, and then Big Mama started Fashion Friday. That helped too. At Big Mama's recommendation, I began watching Tim Gunn's Guide to Style (a slightly classier version of What Not to Wear). Most recently I got a review copy of Nina Garcia's Little Black Book of Style.

It's all just finally converged. It's time. I'm ready.

To give you a bit more personal information that I did not include in my 5 Minutes for Mom Tackle post, here are the pictures of things that I finally purged from closet. I was talking with a friend on the phone while I was doing it, and I said, "I have this dress that I wore when I worked. It's nice and simple--" Andrea interrupted me and said with contempt, "You wore it when you worked?" (i.e. 10 years ago) "Throw it out!!" So, I did. I also tossed my sleeveless denim button-up dress. I got rid of this spice colored shirt that is great, but it just does not fit well, but I keep wearing it because I like the color, but I tossed it so that I would stop wearing it and find something that is more flattering. It's tossed on the top, because it wasn't originally in the pile.



As an extension of my birth-week celebration, I'm going out with some girlfriends this weekend, and I requested a shopping trip, so I'm hoping to buy a couple of shirts (of the non-knit, I might actually have to iron variety), maybe a new pair of jeans, and perhaps a new boot. Last week, I bought a classic pair of dress pants (in dark brown, and tossed out my ill-fitting brown pair), but I'd love a pair of black ones as well.

So, talk back--is there one new item you've purchased for your wardrobe (or maybe something you got rid of for good) that's made you feel better about your sense of style?

For before and after closet pics, check out my Tackle it Tuesday.

See my full review of Little Black Book of Style, and leave a comment for a chance to win your own copy.

15 comments:

Org Junkie said...

Oh sorry what was the question? I totally got sidetracked by the purging!!!! Thanks for the fix...lol.

Love it, love it, love it!

Well let's see, I love to be fashionable but I am also really cheap. Would you believe that on my weekly thrift store drop off I started checking out the jean section each time and I have gotten fantastic hip and trendy jeans for just $4.00 a pair. Okay clearly you can see I'm not the person to ask. Can't wait to see what you find, take pictures!!!

Kathleen Marie said...

This sounds like something I need to do. My girls tell me I dress "frumpy" at times and even buy me things now and then to assure me I can look nice but when no one see me but hubby - well, I dress comfy but I do need to rethink when I do go out.

Hugs!

Dianne said...

You go girl! I just pitched a bunch of clothes too - 2 black garbage bags full in fact! I'm ashamed to admit I had clothes I bought when I worked at Kaufmann's 14 years ago!!! Many of them were just plain too big or way out of style. Unlike you however, I will probably continue to think "what color jeans can i get by with at work" or "what doesn't need ironed"! But good challenge, maybe I"ll look for a nice white shirt, even one that needs ironing!

Beck said...

What a great post. Of course, my wardrobe of beat up jeans and my husband's sweatshirts is both functional AND elegant, but I hope you have fun shopping. (take me with you!)

Stephanie said...

I wish I had someone like BooMamma to go shopping with me and tell me what to avoid. I find when I go shopping with my friends (and MIL!) I usually end up sending my purchases to the Salvation Army a couple of months later. And NOT because they are trendy!

Susanne said...

I've got you beat in the dress department. I've still got one hanging in the closet that I wore when I had just had my oldest girl. She will be 18 in February. I don't wear it anymore but it still hangs there for some reason.

I totally understand what you mean. I have so many mismatched, ill fitting clothes I don't even know where to start.

At A Hen's Pace said...

MY fashion makeover began when my daughter grew to be the same size as me! (Foot and shirt size--she's still a few inches shorter than me though.)

Now we go shopping together all the time, and I'm especially willing to buy things that we both can wear. Though often what happens is later she decides she doesn't like certain tops for some reason (a new style comes along?) and then I get them to myself. Then it's out with the old, in with the new! Neither of us will iron, though. :)

Happy Birthday and happy shopping!! (We love Kohl's and Goodwill.)

Big Mama said...

You know I'm a fan of a good sweater coat. You'd get a ton of wear out of it, especially since you live in cold weather country.

Glad I could help inspire a transformation!

Andrea said...

How exciting, Jennifer!
I look forward to seeing your changes.

Dad said...

You threw out the demin button up? How will we recognize you in Texas?
Boy, this is a good change for you. At your age, you needed this to keep from being "matronly" before your time.
Susan is doing better since she retired (she actually spent $200 on alterations before the cruise).
Another hint ladies: No matter how much it costs, if it does't fit well, it doesn't look great.
"Your loving fashion minded father"

smallspiralnotebook said...

Jennifer,
I loved your post! Have you considered doing a fashion swap?
I hold them twice a year, have the girls over for cupcakes and chow, and we all swap clothes.
It's a great way for me to get some fashionable wears and clean out my closet.
Additionally, I donate all of the left items to charity!
Cheers, Felicia
http://www.feliciasullivan.com

HipWriterMama said...

Oh. I need to do this. But I know it will make more of a mess than I'm willing to endure right now.

I bought myself a kickin' pair of black leather boots. Makes me feel like I am all powerful.

Heather said...

So I'm not a fashion guru, and I don't iron, but i do like to buy clothes that make me feel good. Pirate or gypsy flare clothes. Linen (it'll wrinkle the first time I sit anyway, so why iron?). Furry socks.
Stuff that when I look in the mirror, I look like me, and I look good! (Or at least, I think so.)

Katrina said...

In general, the words "sense of style" and "Katrina" do not go together. Words that do go with Katrina: jeans, fleecy tops, polo shirts. My closet is a mess and needs a serious purging... not necessarily in order to be more stylish, though. Just so I can find things in there.

Monkey Kisses said...

Yes, I too was mostly in yoga pants and t-shirts. I lost a decent amount of weight from the past few years, and I had no choice.. I went and got myself some new jeans, and a few shirts to get me through the winter. Comfy shirts, yet nice shirts. I do have to say that Victoria Secrets shirts and sweaters are amazing. I never tempted to buy them because you see them on the ever so anorexic models and think they'll never fit, but beyond my wildest dreams I am actually my size in their shirts and they have some really cute shirts... anyway I sound like I'm making money off of them or something :-)