Tuesday, October 16, 2007

What Don't You Do?

Rachelle at Seek First His Kingdom recently posted A Lot of Things I Don't Do. I loved reading this post because she isn't beating herself up for not doing them, she's just sharing them matter-of-factly. She's trying to help ease that perceived pressure of being the perfect wife and mom.

I think it's similar to the notion that in order to focus on the best, we are going to have to give up some good things.

Some of the "best" for me right now includes:
  • Friends--giving of myself and taking from them when needed to both of our mutual edification
  • Ministry--learning and leading in BSF, taking my daughter with me so that she is getting a strong foundation as well
  • Marriage--talking, dating, sharing and thinking of his needs takes time and conscious effort
Good things I don't do (and don't feel too guilty about):
  • Iron my husband's shirts--we send some out to the cleaners, and others he does himself
  • Assume the task of Room Mom, PTA Mom, or Soccer Mom
  • Keep a super-clean house (this isn't really a conscious choice, but more of a personality defect, but I'm going to put it here as if I'm sacrificing this)
  • Craft (this may be a personality defect as well)
Good things that might be moving up to the "best" list soon:
  • Focusing more on having nutritionally balanced meals and snacks available for the family and me, which is hard when at least one of us is on the go at some part during the week
  • Reaching out to others in friendship
What about you? What are some of the things on your "best" list, and some of the "good things" that you let go?

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Best: my family. Loving, training and teaching my children.

Things I'm letting go: a clean house, but like you that's not a tough choice; away-from-home activities.

Carrie K. said...

Not only am I not ironing my hubby's shirts - I purposely buy shirts for him that won't require ironing!

Andrea said...

Oh I love my "not-to-do" lists!!

Emily said...

Jennifer,
This talk I just heard is exactly what you are talking about. I know you are not a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS, Mormon) as I am, but I think you'll appreciate this talk.
Here's the link: http://www.lds.org/conference/talk/display/0,5232,49-1-775-38,00.html

Sisterlisa said...

That's good idea Jennifer. I think it's good that our friends know we're not perfect.

I work hard with my kids' education(Homeschool) as well as their spiritual growth.
I have been working hard at my writings to uplift my readers.

Good things I don't do, and don't feel bad about would be doing More. If I did do more, I would spread myself too thin. I don't teach a Sunday School class right now. I did for 10 years and I needed to step back and regroup with my family.

Moving up on my list would be upkeep in my home. Due to homeschooling there are some areas I lack in, but we're working on getting it all together as a family.(like putting away laundry for 6 poeple) lol