Saturday, October 20, 2007

What My Husband Does

Earlier this week, I wrote about What I Don't Do, after being inspired by copying Rachelle. Today I was inspired by am copying Veronica's post at Toddled Dredge called Household Tasks My Husband Does Without Being Asked.

What My Husband Does:

Irons his own shirts.

Throws a load of underwear into the washing machine when he starts to run low.

Cleans the bathrooms if he thinks that they are disgusting, instead of just complaining that they are disgusting.

Fills my car up with gas when he's driving it. (I truly love this since I am a "drive it until it's on E and the light is on" kind of girl which sometimes leaves me in dire straights).

And one of Veronica's that I liked was "finding his own shoes/keys/wallet." Yes, I married a big boy who doesn't need a mother to take care of him, and I think that's good for both of us.

I do fight guilt about some of these things--seeing as how I am at home, with one child at school all day and a three year old who is in preschool twice a week and still naps daily, but I'm learning to see things differently. Housekeeping is not one of my strengths. I try to keep things neat, because I know he appreciates it (picking up toys before he comes home, keeping the pile of books beside my bed somewhat contained, and making sure the dishes are in or out of the dishwasher as needed), but it is not the driving motivating force of my existence. The fact that he is willing to do them is a quiet affirmation to me that I am not just a maid or a mom or a cook. I'm a part of a family that he and I are running together.

7 comments:

Dianne said...

I'm like you, Jennifer, right now at least . . . I can't derive my sense of worth from my housekeeping! My husband has sat here all week, looking at the laundry needing folded, and never said a word! (that's a good thing). as long as he has clean stuff to wear, he's happy. Last night he said to me, you go and do something fun tomorrow - I'll take care of laundry. Really sweet since I've been working 10-12 hour days! We are lucky girls!!

Rachelle G. said...

This is a great one! I have a feeling that very soon I'm going to be inspired by you... um, I mean copying you on my blog!

Stephanie said...

Oh the gas one!! I'm right there with you! Especially in the winter time. I've figured out I can go 400 miles until my light comes on and then several more miles after that. So I always re-set my trip meter after I fill-up. Just in case my husband won't be in the car when I need gas. = )

At A Hen's Pace said...

My husband lets me leave the little kids home with him on the weekends (Friday nights and Saturday mornings) while I take my big kids for theater rehearsals and go hang out at Panera till they're done! Yea!! What would we do without these guys??

:)

Jeanne

Katrina said...

What a great guy! And no guilt is necessary -- we all have our strengths, passions, weaknesses, and a good marriage is all about combining those in an optimal way, which it sounds like you guys do quite well.

My husband is a big boy too, and quite self-sufficient, which I greatly appreciate. It's great to have a husband who is a true partner, isn't it?

Melissa @ Breath of Life said...

You are blessed. My hubby does a great deal, too...but bathrooms are beyond his comfort zone ;-)

Mine will usually ask me where things are, but I like him depending on me a little. Sometimes I wish he did more around the house (since I do work), but he does so much with our daughter, that I can't really complain.

I'm ashamed to admit I've actually run out of gas twice (praise the Lord, right at the gas station, BOTH TIMES!). But he rarely drives my vehicle, so no help in that department either.

The Wooden Porch said...

What a beautiful post! Your husband sounds like a terrific man. :-)

PS. I gave you a bloggy award this morning.