Saturday, November 03, 2007

Delayed Gratifcation

I am one of those Mitford fans. I have read and reread the first eight books in the series. My collection is in trade paperback, which is my favorite way to read a book, so even though I awaited each new book in the series with anticipation, I always waited for it to come out in trade paperback to add it to my collection. When I found out that Jan Karon had written the final novel in the series, I just couldn't bear to read it. When I read it, it would be over!

Light From Heaven is the book that I bought when I went shopping a couple of weeks ago. I had been wanting to buy it, and I was in need of some comfort. Reading it was like receiving a hug from an old friend. The writing, the characters, and the plot all exude warmth, happiness, contentment and peace.

I have not finished, so please--no spoilers--but it's so good to be At Home in Mitford again. It was worth the wait.

This review is linked to Semicolon's Saturday Review of Books. Click over and add your own, or peruse the others.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Ahhh isn't it wonderful? I won't spoil it. It's just GREAT!

And if you love Mitford -- check this out. (I'm now on pins and needles waiting for the paperback edition.)

http://www.amazon.com/Home-Holly-Springs-Father-Book/dp/0670018252/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-8129637-1889417?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1194113586&sr=8-1

Dana said...

It is a great book. It ends well. It's funny that I read the last book before you since you got me into the series in the first place!

Rachelle G. said...

I'm a Mitford fan, too, but haven't been able to squeeze one into my reading schedule since the fifth one. I have some catching up to do! I think I put it on my list for '08. Glad you're enjoying the latest one!