Tuesday, November 20, 2007

I'm Not Sure I'm Ready for This

Last week the phone rang:

Caller: Hello this is Master X (to protect the innocent). May I speak to Amanda?

Me: Yes. Amanda it's Master X.

Amanda, looking sheepish: Hi. Oh, okay, you need the whole list? Taking the phone upstairs to her room as she grabs her homework folder.

Amanda, returning the phone to me a few minutes later, and shrugging:
He needed the spelling list.


Is it me, or isn't that one of the oldest tricks in the book? When I was fifteen, my friend and I desperately wanted to figure out a way to call Peter without seeming too obvious. I'm not sure the results were any less obvious than the spelling word maneuver:

Me: Hi, Peter? It's Jennifer. Did you happen to lose a gold chain at Mary's birthday party?

Peter: No, I didn't.

Me: Oh, okay. We're just calling around to see who might have lost it.


The operation may not have sounded too successful, but Peter did ask me out at some point thereafter, and took me on my first real non-dance date with the guy driving and everything. I later found out that he would have liked to ask me out again, but he didn't know if I liked him. He clearly was a very dense seventeen year old boy.

8 comments:

Noodle said...

My now 9-year-old son got "a call" last year, then a few more follow-up calls. Thankfully, he's very purposeful in his conversations and the calls ceased once the girl realized that he's not a good phone chatter. :)

Beck said...

It might have been an amourous classmate or it might just have been a spelling-list forgetful one... ya never know.

Melissa @ Breath of Life said...

Since our girls are close in age, and I KNOW I'm not ready for this, I'm hoping Beck is right!

Katrina said...

It's true -- Amanda might just have the reputation of being a very reliable fellow student... But thinking of this boy-girl phone call stuff makes me nervous anyway.

Camden's had one call from a girl -- a friend calling to see which class he'd be in, right before school started. Other than that, we've avoided this stuff. I'm not sure I'm ready for it, but I know my husband isn't!

Sisterlisa said...

LOl oh Jennifer! Boys ARE dense. Do you think he already had the spelling words?

Org Junkie said...

Ack, my daughter just had a boy call her for the first time as well. I KNOW I'm not ready for it. Yikes!

Heidi said...

Thanks for the smile today. :) How funny is that?

At A Hen's Pace said...

Okay you all, just wait till the boys are not just calling, but texting and commenting and IMing!!!

We try really hard to keep it out in the open and under control...and fortunately, my 15 y.o. is a talker who tells us (nearly) everything.

It is scary. But you just start praying twice as hard!

:)

Jeanne