Friday, November 30, 2007

I've Found the Cure

I suffer from an affliction that is rarely cured. Actually I'm not sure if I actually suffer from it, but it does plague me. It's officially defined as "averse or disinclined to work, activity, or exertion; indolent." If you move more into the realm of the seven deadly sins, it is described as "habitual disinclination to exertion; indolence; laziness."

This week I have found a cure. It's called Work. I know that some of you out there cannot imagine whiling away hours reading, watching television, surfing the net or talking on the phone, but I also know that many of you fight the inertia of inactivity as much as I do.

Heather left a comment asking if I had shared about my very part-time job. I think that I might have, but I can elaborate. One day a week while Kyle is at preschool, I go to someone's home as her personal assistant. I inherited this job from my friend who moved, because I had come on when things were busy to help out last year around this time. I work about four hours on site, and then I bring home anywhere between one and four hours of work (placing orders, making phone calls, updating Christmas address lists). However, with it being Christmastime, my hours have doubled. I also spend at least a couple of hours a week on 5 Minutes for Mom tasks. Part of the problem with this work from home is that it looks to others, and feels to me, much like my normal lazy surfing.

This week has been busy. I don't generally like busy, because while I have gotten a lot done, it also leaves a lot undone, around the house in particular. However, an odd thing happened this week. Because I've been working so hard on different projects, I've also taken advantages of pockets of time to declutter an area here or there, run the vacuum upstairs, and put away the dishes.

Who would imagine that hard work could slay laziness?

This year in October when my schedule seemed to be filling up, I began to entertain the idea of quitting this job after Christmas. After all, we don't need the money. It's really just a fun diversion for me and an opportunity to contribute a bit to the household budget, specifically for extras. It does leave me less time to reach out to others and spend time with them, and leaves me less time for freelance writing which I'm trying to pursue. It would be easy for me to justify that choice. While not wrong in itself, I think that it's just the medicine I need to treat my chronic condition. Having one day set aside for work outside the home (and several hours throughout the week) causes me to make the most of the rest of the hours in my week and examine how I am using my time.

I certainly do not think that every woman must contribute financially to the home, but I do think that we should use our gifts and our time wisely to the betterment of ourselves and our families.

The Perfect Woman as described in Proverbs 31

13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.

14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.

15 She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.

16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.

17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.

18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.

19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.

27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I think I suffer from the same disease. My cure for this month was my mom coming to stay with us for a week. Nothing like your mother coming to get you to clean house!! Now if I can just find a cure for December - without having to resort to houseguests.

Andrea said...

Greetings from your professional part-time job predecessor...the forerunner of your P.A. path. Might I speak for those of us whom suffer from the antithesis of your affliction - those suffering from a rarely cured disease of never knowing when to say no? I commend your focus on Proverbs 31. Wherever we are on the scale of busyness, I think we can see that the Virtuous Woman must have maintained some sort of balance. We have to examine our family's needs and evaluate how much time we need to spend on them versus ourselves and other venues that take our time. Balance...hmmm. Sounds good. Now I have to go do some things.

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

I hear you...

I'm working on freelancing more myself, and it is a catch 22. I love the extra income, but it is taking more out of my time than I originally anticipated. As I try to build a bigger/better resume, I need to put more time into it.