Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Pappaw

My dad sent this email out to friends and family this morning:

On this day, 100 years ago, Otis Roy W. was born into very humble beginnings. He worked very hard and with great resolve to educate himself (Masters degree in Education), reach high levels in his profession, serve his church in many capacities and accumulate a substantial net worth through cattle and land investments. Because of the Depression, he married later in life (28), but lived long enough to celebrate over 50 years with Opal Heaton W. He was a wonderful father and loved his children and grandchildren and was certainly loved by them.

We honor his memory.

Daddy, we still miss you today.


It's hard to believe that he's been gone almost twenty years. A few things had recently come back to my memory about Pappaw. He snored so loudly that it could be heard throughout the house. If I awoke late at night after others had gone to bed, he would often be up watching wrestling on TV, and he would let me sit up with him. I can still see him sitting in "his chair" in the living room. That chair was not for anyone else's use, but there was always room on his lap for one of his granddaughters.

5 comments:

Sisterlisa said...

((Jennifer))I was thinking about my grandpa today too. It's so sweet to have those memories.

Lindsey @ Enjoythejourney said...

I have been thinking about my grandpa too this weekend. Thanksgiving is a time to remember, I think...

I'm glad you have happy memories Jennifer...

Jada said...

What a neat tribute. We called my mom's dad Pappaw. Her mom was known as Mammaw. I miss them both.

Hope you had a wonderful, memory-filled Thanksgiving!

~Jada

Katrina said...

Very sweet. I love that your dad sent out that email.

It always amazes me when a passing mention or a kitchen aroma or a song from yesteryear pulls up memories long forgotten. I'm glad those memories stay around, even though they're not at the forefront of our minds.

Barb @ A Chelsea Morning said...

What a beautiful tribute to his memory, Jennifer. He sounds like an amazing man. Imagine a masters degree in education all those many years ago.

I have to tell you this because it's funny. And a huge relief. I was dying, dying I tell you, because bloglines was showing I have over 600 unread posts. When I came to your feed, it showed 200 new posts! I knew that couldn't be true so thank you, thank you for knocking 200 unread posts out of that impossible number I'm seeing!