Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Passport to Freedom

Terry and I are in the process of planning a weeklong getaway of bliss. Our fifteenth anniversary is in January, and in honor of that we are returning to the site of the most refreshing vacations we have ever taken. The first order of business was to secure babysitting--done (thanks Dad and Susan!). The second order of business was to renew my passport, so that I could get out of the country. With those two items taken care of, I'm free to make the reservation and begin dreaming.

Erma Bombeck titled one of her books, When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home. I see her point, but at this point in my life, I think that when you look like your passport photo, it's time to leave home. The young girl at Walgreen's is my no means a professional photographer, but I'm not very pleased with my photo:


In spite of trying to smile and look great for this photo that will identify me to foreign officials for the next ten years, I look unnatural. I look a bit frazzled. I probably was/am frazzled. But May is coming. It's six months away, but it's coming.

I do like my hair, and this is where I will ask for your help (as well as the help of everyone clicking over from Rocks in My Dryer backwards Works for Me Wednesday). I got it cut a few weeks ago. I like the cut. I asked for more layers, and I actually would like a few more. I don't want advice on the cut, but on color. I've never ever colored my hair, but now that I'm 29 37, I am beginning to see the need. The reasons that I've never colored or highlighted it is because I'm cheap and lazy, thus I didn't want to pay for something that would also need to be maintained on a regular basis. The other reason that is just as important is that I actually like my hair color. If do an all-over color, all the natural highlights will be squashed. I know that I can foil over the color, but again, that's more money and more upkeep. I asked my stylist if foil only would cover some of those undesirable natural highlights of the white variety, and she said that it would. So, I offer the passport photo for your consultation. I'm not sure that I have as many highlights as it appears under the florescent Walgreen's lighting, but my hair is a darker medium brown, and I have highlights that range from honey to lighter brown to copper. So what direction should I go with the hair? Is there anything I can do myself, or should I just say no to the home kits? I don't want to end up with an orange or a maroon tinge.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have gorgeous hair. I just turned 35 and I am going all natural, no more dyeing. It did a number on my hair and my hair is much healthier now.
Esther

HipWriterMama said...

Your picture is lovely. And your hair awesome. All I can say is wait until you absolutely have to. Your hair color will never look the same.

Melissa @ Breath of Life said...

Girl, I'm wishing I had hair like yours! Don't do a thing!

chickadee said...

i think your hair looks great. love the cut. it has so much body! but i like to experiment with color and highlights sometimes too. i suggest if you're going to do it go to a stylist. talk about what you want and even take in some pictures. i almost always like what i get and my hair always feels so good afterwards.

Sheila said...

Your hair looks gorgeous! What's your secret to having so much body???

T with Honey said...

Hold out as long as you can because once you start highlighting or coloring it is a painful process to stop.

I don't think there is an inexpensive solution. Everyone I know that has good looking highlights or artificial color goes to a professional. My cousin has similar color as yours and went in the highlights direction and it looks great on her! You don't need touch ups as frequently as all over color and it gives the impression that your rich and get to spend lots of time vacationing at the beach.

Karla E said...

Jennifer, First, I see NO grey hair...and you know how long I've been coloring mine. And as you know I'm also cheap and lazy so I do mine at home. I have some natural red (hence the grey starting at 28)so I use a reddish brown and the natural greys pick up more of the red. Even the girl who cuts my hair comments that she couldn't get it to look more natural. Of course "real natural" these days is "way too grey" for me...I'm good with "faux natural."

queenoftheclick said...

I like your hair and think you look great! I am 36 so I know what you are feeling.

If you are up to a few highlights, how about just asking your stylist for a few face framing honey or blondish highlights.

Dana said...

A few highlights is harmless and fun! It's nice to get away and have someone else take care of you for awhile.
If you do it yourself make sure to take pictures!

Dad said...

If you are going to continue looking as young as your husband, then a few highlights now would help; later on dye (needed due to genes from our side of family. Please have it professionally done.
Tell Terry you need a budget increase.
BTW, you do have really great hair.
LOVE

Marie said...

I would put in two shades of highlights, a caramel shade a little lighter than your natural color, and a lighter golden/strawberry shade. I agree that you have great hair, but I think highlights would give your look a nice lift.

Rebecca said...

LOL

Dad raises a good point. That said, you are way too pretty to make yourself look ordinary by doing the ubiquitous foil thing.

It's a hard question. I think it's best to do something, though, from the time the gray really starts to show (you may not be there yet? until it's over half gray. While it's coming in, it tends to be aging on someone still young.

Part of me wishes frosting with the cap would come back in style. It would probably be more affordable. :)

Anonymous said...

DON'T DO IT YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is not going to be cheap (sorry Terry) and you will need to keep up with it. I think highlights do a GREAT job of disquising the grey (unfortunately I look better with all over color and since mine is so dark, each grey hair stands out like a star in the black sky). On another note, I think your passport photo is AWESOME (I know you are your own worst critic, we all are) and you look gorgeous!! Again, let me say, whatever you do, pay for it, do not do it yourself, you will be sorry! I am a huge fan of Aveda color (which is mostly natural) and kinda spendy but I've tried everything and am most pleased with that (10 to 1 with other products). Good luck with your decision!
Danielle

martha, stealth roommate said...

I thought your pic looked great! The cut looks fabulous! I started highlighting about 5 years ago. You don't have to do it too often, I only have it done 3 to 4 times a year, but I have gotten more and more blond. Just have your stylist put a few in and see what you think. I want to know where you are going!!!! We havent' started talking about a 15th anniversary trip! I'd just like a weekend :)

Org Junkie said...

Love, love, love the cut!! As for the color well I've been dying my own for years because of all the grey I'm sporting but have been noticing that it's not covering as well as it use too. May need to get it done at a salon but like you the cost scares me. Good luck with whatever you decide!!

Carrie said...

I think you look FABULOUS. I thought I'd highlight my hair for fun and have spent the last year growing it out. Which isn't helpful when you've decided to grow your hair out longer. The whole process just takes forever. I, too, was incredibly happy with my natural color. I think highlighting is fun -- once or twice maybe-- but be prepared for a LOOOONG recovery process. And I think if I had to do it over again, I'd just stick with my natural color which I was happy to begin with!

But whether you do or do not highlight -- I think you look beautiful!

angeleyes Blue said...

I began turning gray at 16. I highlighted my hair for my wedding at 27. I never noticed how gray it had gotten since until I went home with my children to see my mum. She freaked out! She insisted that I go see her stylist---who cut and layered my beautiful pageboy haircut and colored it. I can honestly say that I made my mother happy.

I now color my hair as it is soooo very hard to go back to what I had. I have had it professionally done--Boy did they screw up my hair. Never Again.

I have found that Revlon is a good product but way too expensive. I am now using Clariol and my hair looks great.

I agree with some of the other comments---Once you start to color you will find that you will always need to color. Give it a few more years and Gray will be the new "IN".

You look great by the way.

Lea said...

My hair is about the same color as yours, and I love it. My hairdresser gives me semi-permanent color close to my own. It lets my natural highlights come through.