Saturday, December 01, 2007

It's Beginning to Click a Lot Like Christmas

I hold no particular regard for Christmas shopping. I love giving gifts, especially when I've thought of something that's just perfect for someone on my list, but I have no need to hit the mall in order to feel the true Christmas spirit. In fact, battling the throngs of people, waiting in line, being unable to find the right size or the right color or the right price will just zap the spirit right out of me.

However, I do enjoy it much more when I am with my favorite shopping buddy--the Dell Inspiron (although if Santa wanted to bring me a younger hipper shopping buddy with a faster processor and more memory, I'd be willing to kick this one to the curb).

How I love internet shopping, let me count the ways:
  • Pain-free spending -- This might actually be more of a con than a pro, but even though I have to type in my credit card number, it isn't as painful to rack up those big tickets.
  • Perfect climate control -- Today I made a quick stop at TJ Maxx and the KB Toys that's going out of business in our shopping center, and it's COLD. It's below freezing and windy. Other times when I'm dressed for winter, I've almost burned up at the mall due to the heat being on too high and the crowds.
  • Instant price comparison -- I can use my tabbed browsers and instantly find out if I will get a lower price at amazon, Toys R Us, or elsewhere.
  • Easy returns -- My "receipt" is saved right online, so I don't have to keep up with all those slips of paper. Having to ship something back is sort of a pain, but many retailers such as Old Navy and Eddie Bauer allow returns in store.
  • Open all night -- I can shop unencumbered by my children any time.

13 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am right there with you!!! The cold. The crowd. The craziness. Don't need it! Bring on the hot chocolate and my jammies and I'm a much happier shopper. Especially when there is free shipping. LOVE me some free shipping!

Katherine@Raising Five said...

You are so good! We usually comparison shop online and then Dennis goes and get the items at the cheapest place if the shipping is too much. We always get something from some of the stores you mentioned...I need to get better about actually PURCHASING!

Andrea said...

That is exactly what I am doing right now...and procrastinating by looking at blogs!!

Org Junkie said...

Amen to that!

Tammy said...

Oh yeah...I do both kinds of shopping, and though once in awhile, I find it kind of fun to roam a store, most of the time online shopping beats it any day.
I DID hit the store last night to try and find a couple things still on my list, and just ended up tired and frustrated, plus my family missed me!

And we're having cold, rain and winds, too...so I have to agree with everything you said!

Rachelle said...

I love me some internet shopping, too! This year, though, I'm hitting the stores for the first time in several years. My kids are at the age where they're getting mostly CLOTHES. Hard to buy online. I will enjoy the shopping but seriously, I've got to learn how to do this again!

Heather said...

Amen, sister.

Laurie said...

I love shopping online, too. I was in a store today during my lunch hour and when I saw the lines, I said "forget it" and left. My stuff wasn't that important to stand in line!

Thank you for visiting my blog!

~Laurie in TN

Bonnie said...

Ok ... what is a tabbed brower and how to I set it up ??

Jennifer, Snapshot said...

Answering Bonnie's question--

I think that Internet Explorer has tabs now, but I looooove firefox (you can download it free). Instead of opening a new window, you can open a new tab. That way you can have 3 (or 4 or 5) windows open at the same time and just click the tabs to go from one to the other.

I hope this clears it up. Your email address isn't in your profile, but you can email me (on sidebar) for more info if this doesn't answer your question.

Susanne said...

I have personally not ventured into online shopping, though hubby has at times. Sometimes though, as Canadians, it has turned around to bite us. The store charges their amount and their shipping and handling and then sometimes we are charged at the door too, such things as customs charges, import charges, etc. etc. It's actually very frustrating.

Katrina said...

My Dell Inspiron has been my shopping buddy as well. Online shopping is a wonderful thing.

Helen said...

Wow, I just had a REAL good laugh on the header of that post! That's exactly how I do most Christmas shopping :-)

Thanks for sharing!