Monday, January 28, 2008

Just Like Currier and Ives


The sticks click against the ice, the puck glides. Young men shout out as their skates cut through the frozen pond. A girl or two and a few adults join in the hockey game composed mostly of teenaged boys.

The younger boys start their own game.

Amanda joins the skaters on the periphery of the pond--her first attempt at skating with no walls to guide her. I remembered to have her wear her warm skiing socks, but forgot the snow pants that her friends wore.


It was all new to this Texan, but not for our friend whom we met there--raised in New Hampshire with a pond in his backyard. "Dad brought a rope," Margot assured Amanda.

"I've pulled someone out or been pulled out too many times," he remembers.

The rope wasn't needed. It wasn't too cold to enjoy some time outdoors, and Amanda spent more time upright than sitting on the ice, so she didn't need the snow pants.

5 comments:

Org Junkie said...

Outdoor skating, how fun! It never gets cold enough here for us to do that unfortunately :(

Kelly said...

So iconic! I love to ice-skate, but have never been outdoors.

HipWriterMama said...

Looks fun!

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Fun!! They have an outdoor skating center in downtown Providence but my kids need to be older before I venture there. And we're too close to the water here for me to trust local ponds. Looks like fun. Did you skate, too? = )

e-Mom said...

Outdoor skating. Fantastic! Reminds me of my early years growing up in Montreal. I remember a few bumps and bruises falling on the ice. :~D

BTW, I've linked to your earlier post on Amy Grant's Mosaic. A controversial performer it seems, amongst blogging Christian Moms.

Blessings!