Thursday, January 31, 2008

School Days

Amanda is in fourth grade. I've been quite pleased with her school thus far. She is progressing socially and academically, and her homework burden has not been hard to manage. This week, she came home with some information that I thought might change that.

"We're doing a non-fiction book project. I'm studying the Titanic, and I'm going to make a diorama as my visual. You know--a box with the ship in it hitting the iceberg and sinking. I'm going to put penguins on the iceberg."

I held my tongue, but I was thinking, "I'm no good at this sort of thing. Can't she make a poster or something?"

This morning before school, two days after she mentioned this to me, she said, "Mom, I need a shoebox for my diorama. I need it today. A big one."

"You're working on the project at school?" I asked, thinking that this was turning out much better than I thought. I gave her the shoebox.

Today she came home from school with this requirement: "Mom, we need to go out and buy clay today for my project so I can make the Titanic. We have to have it finished by Monday. I need it tomorrow."

Okay, now this was shaping up more like the projects that I remembered doing in my day. I balked at her request, and I'm still not sure how it's going to turn out for her. I'm a little inflexible when it comes to leaving the house after we're all nestled in when she gets home at 4:00pm.

One thing is certain. Regardless of the last minute shopping excursions and home scavenging required to procure the required materials, there will be no screaming at each other at the kitchen table, no tears, and no doubt about who really put the work in on the project--parent or child.

It actually makes a lot of sense. I'm sure that when she goes to intermediate school it will be a different story. I've heard that's when homework begins to ramp up. Well, that and trumpet practice.

7 comments:

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I dread those types of projects! I am not skilled in the crafty/art areas, so I don't want any of those assignments coming home. How nice that she is working on it at school. I am nervous enough about working with my son on his Valentine box!

Org Junkie said...

I can so relate to this one! Science Fair is around the corner for us and I'm dreading it like you wouldn't believe!

e-Mom said...

Clay... my kids' favorite craft material. Have fun!

BTW, you've been nominated for an award. When you get a chance, please stop by and grab it.

Blessings,

e-Mom @ Chrysalis

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Penguins on the iceberg. That's cute! I remember those projects. I distinctly remember my mom doing one on clouds while I went to bed. Can't remember what grade I got though. = )

Beck said...

She could come make her diorama at my house. We dig that sort of stuff. But hey - viva la difference, right?

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh what memories! I remember the days with projects and 'mom I need ...by yesterday.' Now my two are in high school. No more science fairs. Just the daily grind of getting them up and scooching thme out the door. I don't even have to do the driving. My son's friends all have their drivers licenses. He still has a permit and OMG he needs a licensed adult in the car with him. He needs to do this for 50 hours and then he is on his own. I am edging towards how one of my friends did this she required her son to drive 100 hours with an ault in the car.

My son is thinking he is home free come March 2008. I am thinking Am I really That OLD!? He won't be 16 until June. My daughter is right after him. Oh Lord Next is College....I will miss them terribly.

We are the house where all the TEENS HANG! Gotta love that. On Friday I ordered 3 extra large Pizzas and a huge order of breadsticks. The food came and there was no teens around. That is what I get for thinking ahead--Last week we were jammed full with HUNGRY TEENAGERS! This week Noone!

Be careful what you wish for....10 teens showed up around 8:30. By 11PM we had a total of 12 teens and they ALL SPENT THE NIGHT! Well Only one is left today and my son went back to bed as he is sick.

So ladies enjoy science fairs and hold your breath for the RIDE!

Have an awesome day--Are you ready for some football? This house is divided between the Patriots (hubby is from New England and the Giants (I am from NY)

Katrina said...

Oh, those last-minute, "Oh, I need this right NOW" comments. I do not handle those very well. I run errands in the morning; I cocoon in my nice warm house at night. And the ramping up of homework? Not looking forward to that.