Sunday, February 17, 2008

Pure and Faultless

Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. James 1:27

I finally did it. I have sponsored a child through Compassion. I am almost embarrassed to admit that I haven't done it before. No, not almost, I am embarrassed. I live above middle class in a country where even the lower classes would be considered wealthy in other nations. I have watched the commercials. I have heard the strong testimonies at Christian concerts. I know how well the money is used by that organization. I have studied God's commands about poverty, helping others, and giving of my time and money. I have heard friends share about how it helps their children learn to help others and to give and to see how much they possess.

And yet I had never signed up to look after these children who are poor and forgotten by many. I have clung too tightly to my comfortable existence and am quite polluted by the world.

Yesterday that changed. I signed up for what I hope is my first Compassion child. A six-year-old girl in Uganda will now have the necessities that are considered luxuries in that country--schooling, food, clothes.

If you haven't been following the Compassion blogging trip to Uganda, click over and read the accounts and look at the pictures. I've been living vicariously through the experiences of Sophie, Shannon, and Shaun. I am glad that they were open to taking this trip--to leave behind their own families and their own comforts to not only be forever changed themselves, but to affect change for those--like me--who are reading their words.

If you want to sponsor a child, in Uganda or another country of your choice, click here.

3 comments:

Beck said...

We've been trying to figure out a way to budget in the $30 a month to sponsor a child. I'd really like to!
Good for you guys!

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

We picked our 3 today!

Katrina said...

We sponsor a child through World Vision and I am always amazed when we get a glimpse into his life. Here in middle-class America, we really have no clue. There is so much need out there.

I, too, have been touched by the bloggers who traveled to Uganda last week. They present images that we all need to see, and pray about how God would have us respond.