Friday, February 29, 2008

Read Across America

General Info:

What: Read Across America

When: Around March 2, Dr. Seuss' birthday (officially Monday, March 3 for 2008)

Who: Promoted by the NEA for the last 10 years

Why: To celebrate reading, specifically for and to children

How: "In cities and towns across the nation, teachers, teenagers, librarians, politicians, actors, athletes, parents, grandparents, and others develop NEA's Read Across America activities to bring reading excitement to children of all ages. Governors, mayors, and other elected officials recognize the role reading plays in their communities with proclamations and floor statements. Athletes and actors issue reading challenges to young readers. And teachers and principals seem to be more than happy to dye their hair green or be duct-taped to a wall if it boosts their students' reading (taken from NEA FAQ about the event)."

Where: In schools and homes everywhere

Amanda's school did Read Across America today (updated thirty minutes after posting, as Amanda and Kyle are watching Gerald McBoing Boing--She informed me that she learned that this show was based on a Dr. Seuss story and award-winning short). I think she looks adorable (but at nine, I don't know that she would like that description).



Last night she made me so proud. I went upstairs to tell Kyle goodnight. She was reading Green Eggs and Ham to him. She had already told me that she wanted to wear black, red, and white for Read Across America day, in honor of Dr. Seuss's birthday, so I knew why she selected that book (there were two Seuss board books out too).

Kyle is lucky to have a sister who is sharing her fourth-grade knowledge with him. I am lucky to have a daughter who will take over bedtime stories on a day when I feel emotionally and physically spent.

Linkage:

You can read all about it HERE and find some great links, such as a preview of an interactive version of Horton Hears a Who.

When I was searching for info, I stumbled upon Seussville. Fun site. It also has a link to the Horton site, which has some info about the movie coming out in March. I think that's one that our whole family will have to go see. The Seuss site also alerted me that the Kohl's Cares for Kids promotion is Dr. Seuss, so we went today to buy our $5 hardcover copy of Horton Hatches an Egg, which is my favorite Seuss, I think. They also have Fox in Socks and Hop on Pop, and Yertle the Turtle, and some delightful stuffed animals, but I resisted.

Closing Questions:

Will you Read Across America this weekend or on Monday? What is your favorite Seuss?

3 comments:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

We have a fairly good size collection of Dr. Seuss. The one I like the most is about monkeys and drums.

At A Hen's Pace said...

My favorite Seuss is Seussical the Musical! :)

Which also happens to be the number one google search that brings people to my blog. That musical is becoming incredibly popular, apparently--so many people want costume and makeup ideas for it.

As a kid, my favorite story was The One-Feather Tail of Miss Gertrude McFuzz, from Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories. I think that's the name of it--that's the name of her song in the musical, at least. It's a great little morality tale of being content with what you have.

--Jeanne

Katrina said...

Many, many Dr. Seuss books reside at our house. Camden used to drive Chad nuts by asking him to read Fox in Socks, which Chad always found to be a horrible tongue twister. :) I don't know if I can pick a favorite -- we like them all. And Camden, too, is usually willing to read Logan a book -- and I love that!