Sunday, February 03, 2008

Unfinished Conversations

I am a person of many words. So many in fact that I often end mid-thought as my bunny trails, asides, and clarifications obfuscate my true point--even in my own mind. A friend has pointed out that this habit rears its distracted little head even in emails. When writing a long newsy email, I feel as if I'm sharing a conversation. I will be in the middle of sharing one thought when I think, "Oh, I need to be sure to give her that book title she asked about." If I was having a real-time conversation, I would simply say, "Oh, before I forget, the book you asked about is called Keep Your Focus," and then I would go back to my previous thought.

But with email I can actually stop mid-stream, hit return a couple of times, and begin a new thought, which will later be read as the next logical thought, not an interruption. Ideally, I go back to the original paragraph and finish it, but sometimes I forget, which leaves a paragraph reading like this: I was so proud of Amanda for

Today I thought I would focus on finishing several conversations or threads that have been started here.

Most recently--I spoke too soon about the crying. Just after writing the School Days post, Amanda was working on some word problems involving long division which resulted in some crying about how it was too hard, and also some criticism regarding the way I was suggesting that she solve the problems. I know that there is much more to come on that front. In better news, she brought her diorama home to complete this weekend. By complete, I mean start and finish. I was pretty sure that the "doing it at school" routine was too good to be true. However, it wasn't near the struggle that I anticipated. I think that I may encourage her to add a title, "the Titanic" on the sky portion with some stick-on letters, but other than that I think that we (she) did a great job:



The post about my hair got a lot of feedback--both on the blog and from friends and family who read the blog wanting to know, "What did you decide about your hair??" Thursday I got my hair cut. The stylist was new (to me). As I took my hair down from the clip (It was wash and style day, but there was no way I was going to spend time washing it and styling it when I was going to be paying someone to do it at 10:00am. Is that just me?), he said, "Great hair. Do you color it?" I answered in the negative, and he said, "I can tell. It's really healthy and full of body."

I actually get this response almost every single time I get my hair done (by different people each time because I go to a hair academy to get my hair cuts). This is one reason that I have never wanted to treat or process my hair. If it's so uniquely healthy and "great," why do I want to mess with that? Instead of a flat negative answer, I have begun saying "I've never colored or highlighted it at all, but I'm going to have to do something soon, because I'm getting more gray hairs up there." But this time my buddy Luke replied, "No, not yet. I would hold off as long as you can." So that's my game plan for now.

Even longer ago, I posted an entry into Laura's Fall Organizational Challenge. I never posted a wrap up entry, because the week that it was over was incredibly busy, and the deadline sort of slipped by me. Also, even with a few tips and organizational strategies, I'm never going to be an organizing champ, and I'm okay with that. I have made two changes that have been really great. I had looked and looked to no avail to find some sort of box to slide into the cubbies to control the clutter. Laura herself had even tried to help me. Nothing was the right size or finish. At Target, I came across these two-drawer boxes. They were exactly the right width for the cubbies. So, I bought three of them and used the drawers for the cubbies. It would be better if they were taller, but this is a huge improvement.

The other change I've made is to use the basket on the floor (with a lid) to throw things that I'm not ready to deal with. I know that the cardinal rule of living an organized life is to only touch something once, but if it were not for the basket, I would end up throwing things on the desk, so it's a starting point.

9 comments:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Oh the tears I cried over math!! The cubbies look great!

Andrea said...

I'm still waiting for you to revisit you cleaning out your closet and revamping your style. ;) I liked that post.

Org Junkie said...

Well look at you getting so creative on me, those baskets work awesome! You have no idea how excited I am for you to finally have found something. They fit great. I'm glad you are finding solutions that work for you, that is what is most important!!!

Laura

Dianne said...

Baskets help me a lot with organizing. Right now we're downsizing from 2 desks (a rolltop in the livingroom and a computer one in the bedroom) to one - getting rid of the rolltop. The computer desk has virtually no drawers so baskets is going to be the way to go. Yours looks neat and organized. And I love Amanda's project. But . . . where are the penguins?!

Dianne said...

P.S. speaking of unfinished conversations, if you saw how many draft emails and blog posts I've got, you'd die!

Beck said...

I LOVE the finished diorama - very dramatic!
I've been dyeing my hair monthly since I was 14. I'm lucky I'm not BALD!

Beck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
heather a. goodman said...

I do the same thing with my hair--go to the hair dresser with very dirty, yucky hair. Why get it ready so that they can tear it down and get it ready again?
Also, I have my meme answers up today!

Katrina said...

I thoroughly enjoyed getting the "rest of the story" on these items. :)

Amanda's diorama really does look great. So does your organization -- love the baskets.

As for the hair -- I'm horribly jealous that you get "full of body" comments. Sadly, I didn't get dealt any of the genetic cards that would earn me such a statement. Sigh...