Monday, February 25, 2008

Veggie Pasta and Salmon

When Kyle climbed up into his booster seat and saw the plate waiting for him at the dinner table, he said in his most earnest three-year-old voice, "Oh, thank you Mother for not making anything yucky for dinner." Yes, he has taken to calling me "Mother," but that is not the reason for this post. With such a ringing endorsement from him, Amanda's request for seconds, and Terry's thumbs-up, I thought I would share the success that I achieved in my kitchen last night.

We like to grill salmon, but my grandmother gave me one of those grill pans, and the last couple of times I've used that with great results. An hour or so before I cook it, I squirt some dijon mustard, honey, and soy sauce on it and spread it around.

Then I cut up my veggies. Last night I used red bell pepper, sugar snap peas, carrots, and broccoli. I usually add onion (to anything), but I didn't have any. I sauteed the veggies in some olive oil while I boiled the pasta (I used farfalle). I sprinkled them with a little of Paula Deen's house seasoning (kosher salt, pepper, and garlic powder). When the pasta was ready, I added a little chicken broth, a couple of tablespoons of butter, and the juice of one big lemon (it's important to add this right before the pasta and after the other stuff or it will evaporate away). Then I added the pasta and mixed it together. It is rather dry, but the veggies really absorb the flavors.

Voila!


8 comments:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Looks & sounds delicious! If it's being endorsed by a 3 year-old it has to be good!

Dianne said...

That is hilarious! Somehow, I have it in my mind that Kyle is much older than 3! Thanks for sharing the recipe too - looks great.

Beck said...

THat sounds DELICIOUS!

heather said...

yum--can't wait to try it.
my husband's taken to smoking things--ribs, chicken, salmon. best meals i've had!

Sheila said...

Hilarious comment! My almost 3 year old keeps us laughing every day.

Katrina said...

Looks good! And that kind of ringing endorsement from a 3-year-old can't be beat. I received similar praise last night, but must admit that dinner consisted of hot dog roll-ups, mac 'n cheese, and baked beans. All three of my guys claim that as their favorite meal. I'll have to serve extra fruit and veggies today to compensate. :)

Lori said...

Yummy - that skillet of pasta with the veggies looks divine! I've never even considered adding veggies to pasta - what a great idea!

I loved Kyle's exclamation - good thing you've got this blog to remember all the Kylisms!

Kathleen Marie said...

This sounds super delicious to me! Thanks so much for sharing!

God Bless!