Monday, March 17, 2008

Andrew Peterson , Author

I'm a big fan of the singer/songwriter Andrew Peterson. A friend of mine and I saw him open for Nicole Nordeman in a concert that took place in the gym of Houston Baptist University just about five years ago. We both loved his folksy mellow music, his humor and his lyrics.

This past Christmas, Amanda, Terry and I, along with some friends and their three children, saw his Behold the Lamb concert here in Connecticut. It was quite a showcase of talent as well.

When I was searching for the lyrics to his song "Land of the Free" for THIS post that I wrote last week, I came across an announcement for a blog tour promoting his new book. I was curious to meet Andrew Peterson, author, so I signed up.

Since I've had such a busy week and the blog tour was only a week away, and his new book On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness is billed as a book that the whole family would enjoy, I passed it along to my 9 1/2 year old daughter, Amanda, who is never too busy to devour a book. She loved this book. Here is her review:

The title sounds a little bit like a little kids' book, but believe me, it's not for babies! It has 279 savory pages, and you're on the edge of your seat for every one of them.

Here's the cast:
Leeli Igiby is the youngest and has had a crippled leg for as long as she can remember. She finds her comfort in her dog Nugget.

Tink Igiby is the second youngest and really trusts his stomach. When he wants to do something, nobody can stop him.

Janner Igiby is the oldest and is pulled down by the weight of taking care of the younger Igibys.

Nia Igiby is the loving mother of the 3 kids. Her husband was lost and she doesn't like talking about him.

Podo is Nia's father, an ex-pirate and an old man who lost his leg. He enjoys gardening and is a horrible cook.

Peet the Sock Man is a crazy old man who doesn't get much notice from the Igiby children until the adventure begins.

and. . . .

The Fangs of Dang: Feared by many, these green creatures have venom in their teeth and are after the Igiby children!

Sound interesting enough? I recommend this book for people who enjoy ghosts, on-the-edge-of-the-seat-gotta-keep-reading feeling, scary monsters, and great stories.

I just love this book, and I know you will too!


I read the first chapter or so, and it seems like a fun, imaginative read. I think it's evident from Amanda's review that it's the kind of book that gets creativity flowing featuring these wild characters that really make an impression.

If you order from THIS site, you can get an autographed copy at a great price, or check out three of his CDs for only $7.77 each (I'd recommend starting with Clear to Venus). The book is also available on amazon.com, of course.

You can also enter to win a copy by leaving a comment here (Please be sure that you leave a way to reach you--via blog or an email address). I will draw a winner on March 24.

Amanda also reviewed another fantasy book for me this week over at 5 Minutes for Mom. Check it out as well.

12 comments:

Katrina said...

I think Amanda may have a career as a book reviewer ahead of her. Savory pages? I love it!

The book sounds great. Please enter me!

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised by Amanda's ability to write!! I'd love to have the book! Martha

windycindy said...

Thanks for another chance to win a great sounding book. I love the cover! I didn't know he was a singer and author. The characters you describe from the book all sound fascinating and would make an interesting plot. Please enter me in this drawing. Thanks,Cindi
jchoppes[at]hotmail[dot]com

Lisa said...

Sounds good, I would love to win. My daughter is 8 soon to be 9 and loves to read. She has been reading since before she started kindergarten. I can't seem to keep her stocked up with books she reads them so fast. She just read a 112 page chapter book in less than a day. So needless to say I would love to win. LOL! :-)I will have to go and enter your other book giveaway also. I have a son who is 7 1/2 who would love that book.

Cricket said...

My daughter and I read together all the time so this sounds like a great book to add to our list. When we are done reading a book we gift someone else with it so they too can enter a magical place that only books and a little imagination can take you too. We would love to read this one (and I really need to know what The Fangs of Dang are and why they are after the Igiby children)!

lisaelliott[at]cox[dot]net

Kathryn said...

Amada definitely sounds very articulate! I would love this for my daughter and then we would pass it on to my neice.
Thanks for the giveaway!
Artful Blessings,
Kathryn

Bebemiqui said...

Great giveaway! Count me in. bebemiqui82(at)yahoo(dot)com

Jinxy & Me said...

Great review Amanda! Sounds like a great book.

heather said...

I like her focus on character, which is what draws me into stories. Sign me up for a chance at a free copy! I'm re-falling in love with fantasy.

Jenni said...

I love AP.....and would love to win the book!!

Joe D. said...

Andrew is an amazing writer and I am sure this book will only make me think that more! Thanks for the review!


Please enter me in your drawing!
joehere.blogspot.com

sweetsue said...

Tell Amanda she sounds like an amazing little girl! She made this book sound wonderful. Please enter me.