Thursday, March 06, 2008

Praying for Water

Last week, Sophie was moved to tears by the simple act of getting clean water out of her faucet (well, that and perhaps a bit of jet lag and reentry issues after spending over a week in Uganda with Compassion International).

Mary DeMuth's newsletter asks us to pray for a well that is being dug in Ghana (you can read about her son's role in it and find out more information, including how you can give HERE).

A group at my church just returned from Sudan where one of their major goals was to build two latrines so that their drinking water isn't corrupted.

There's obviously a difference between our standard of living here in North America and that of much of the rest of the world.

What's the right response to all of this? Sell everything and give it to the poor? Well, maybe--if God asks you to.

But I'm fairly sure that's not what He's asking.

But I can pray. And I will pray.

I think that we all feel a little guilty about what we have here, but this song always makes me wonder who should be pitying whom.

This is a hidden track on the end of Andrew Peterson's CD, Clear to Venus (good stuff):


The Land of the Free

Little Elba how’s the sun in South America?
does it shine upon the faces of the poor?
do they see in it the brilliance of the place that’s been prepared
and dwell upon the hope of what’s in store?

or are they just like me? do they only see
an opportunity to complain about the heat?

Little Elba, how’s the rain in South America?
does it fall upon the rooftops of the sick?
do they thank the Lord for coming up with such a great idea
and dream about a place beyond all this?

or are they just like us? do they gripe and fuss
about the rain and mud when they’ve had too much?

(Chorus):

‘cause I’m just a little jealous of the nothing that you have
unfettered by the wealth of a world that we pretend is gonna last
they say God blessed us with plenty, I say you’re blessed with poverty
‘cause you never stop to wonder whether earth is just a little better than
the Land of the Free

well, I’m weary of the spoils of my ambition
and I’m shackled by the comfort of my couch
I wish I had the courage to deny these of myself
and start to store my treasure in the clouds

‘cause this is not my home, I do not belong
where the antelope and the buffalo roam

(Chorus):

and I’m just a little jealous of the freedom that you have
unfettered by the wealth of a world that we pretend is gonna last
they say God blessed us with plenty, I say you’re blessed with poverty
‘cause you never stop to wonder whether earth is just a little better than
the Land of the Free

so I hope you’re safe and dry in South America
‘cause I’m feeling pretty good in Tennessee
may you never be so happy you forget about your home...
your home in the Land of the Free



I can't add anything to that.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Proverbs 30:8b-9a always bring me back to this truth as well:

"...give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread. Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the LORD ?'"

The wealth we enjoy in our country often does us no favors when it comes to living for Him.

Mary DeMuth said...

Thanks so much for the Ghana well mention. It's been a fun adventure raising funds for this trip this time around. With France, our kids weren't as involved in raising the money, but this time they are. I do pray the Lord provides so my son can see the well he helped provide!