Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Busy Mom's Devotional


When one says "Mom," does it ever need the adjective of "busy" to qualify it? Women today are often managing family, work, hobbies, housework, friends and other relationships, carpool, sports. . . . the list goes on and on.

For me, staying tied in to my faith helps me balance all of these elements, and hopefully with a better attitude. Regular Bible study, prayer, and devotional thoughts of other moms in the trenches fuels my resolve.

Lisa Bergen's The Busy Mom's Devotional fits the bill in so many areas:


1) Scripture included -- this removes one more obstacle. All you need is the book, but you will get God's word, not just someone's perspective on it, which is also important.

2) Real insight -- some Mom devotionals just don't cut it for me. They seem too cut-and-dried for me. Lisa Bergen draws some wonderful spiritual applications from her life and provides the reader with some real meat to chew on and process.

3) Good format -- because of the format, the weekly devotional works well. It's not too much, not too little.

4) Brain dump -- I've often used this technique myself. When I'm praying, my to-do list often interferes with that conversation with God I'm trying to have, so I keep a little pad nearby to write them down. Lisa Bergen provides a place in the book to dump those thoughts before you commune with God. Great idea.


You can find out more about Lisa Bergen's writing and speaking at her site. If you sign up for her newsletter, you will be entered to win one of three books (Just sign up, and then send her an email with "I just enrolled" in the subject line). She's also working on starting up the Busy Mom's Devo blog, so stay tuned.

If I've convinced you that this is a book you want to add to your collection, you can buy one on amazon now (and if you win one, you can pass it on to a friend).

1 comment:

L.L. Barkat said...

Loved that opening sentence. It was EXACTLY what came to mind. Mom = busy, yes? : )