Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Covering Furniture Scratches


I don't participate in Works for Me Wednesday much anymore for a couple reasons. I think I'm all tipped out for one, and even when I do have a tip in mind, Wednesday seems to come and go before I know it!

But this week something worked for me that I just have to share.

Last month we did a small remodeling job and had our hardwood floors refinished. Moving everything around to prepare for that was a big job for me. Getting everything back in place--well, let's just say that I haven't gotten there yet. The dining room is sort of a parking spot for all of those boxes and nicknacks, and since it's tucked away, I have chosen to ignore it. When my sister-in-law was here a couple weeks ago with her daughter, she and Kyle spent time in there with all the stuff. This week I noticed that some of the nicknacks had apparently been used to bang on the dining room table! The corner of my dining room table now had that naturally distressed look that people pay so much for.

I remember once reading that mayonnaise could remove or repair scratches, so I decided to give it a try. It worked! I just rubbed mayo into the little dents. The dents are still there of course, but the discoloration is gone, so it's only obvious if you are sitting right there. After that I cleaned my table as I normally do so it didn't smell like a tunafish sandwich.

I recently posted 10 tips for Adding Hours to Your Day over at Capessa. Check them out! For more tips from other smart women, click over to Rocks in My Dryer.

Do you love Disney World? Are you still reliving the magical memories of your last trip, or perhaps planning or dreaming of your next/first trip? I've just started a new carnival that will appear here each weekend to help with Disney information sharing. Click HERE for all the details.

4 comments:

lifeasamama said...

seriously!? i have GOT to try this. i wonder if it only works on solid wood pieces, and not on veneered ones... but thanks! i'll experiment...

Katrina said...

I'm rather tipped out as well, but it is good to know that the mayo trick works. I'd heard of it, but never gave it a try.

My trick was to be one of those people who bought the "pre-scratched" dining room table. There's not much my kids can do to it that is noticeable. :)

FrazzMom said...

I just noticed a couple of new scratches that our kitties have made in our media center.... I'll try the mayo trick. Thanks!

Oh and we LOVE Disney- so I'll be back!

At A Hen's Pace said...

Oh, thanks for that tip! In house-selling mode, I've been looking at scuffs and scratches on the woodwork in high traffic areas of our house--will have to try this!

Oh, and a belated welcome back from Disney--it will be so fun to hear all about it!

(BTW, we looooved Wicked! I posted about it.)

~Jeanne