Sunday, May 11, 2008

Defining Motherhood

On Mother's Day of 2004, Amanda was 5 years old and I was 9 months pregnant. I woke up at 2am and realized Terry wasn't in bed. I found him sleeping on the couch in the gameroom outside Amanda's bedroom door.

She had come to our room in the middle of the night, sick. She had thrown up every hour or two for the previous five hours. I hadn't even woken up, which is unusual for me. Usually my husband sleeps like the dead, while I hear every sound or stirring, but apparently being nine months pregnant can fix that.

He didn't want the baby and me and to get sick, so he had let me sleep. When I figured out what had happened, and that he hadn't gotten any uninterrupted sleep yet, I convinced him to let me relieve him so he could get some sleep. Fortunately (for me) the hard work was over. Terry had been up with her at least every hour, and I think that I was able to sleep there until early morning.

Terry went to church to teach Sunday school, and she and I stayed home.

In a quiet moment cuddling on the couch with my daughter, I realized that there was no more appropriate way to spend Mother's Day than caring for my sick child. I didn't need to receive a flower or hear a special message at church that sang Mom's praises, or eat an overpriced brunch. I was doing what I was made to --mother. I was also reminded of the wonderful partner I have for this journey in Terry. No one likes to deal with bodily fluids in that way when a virus hits, but I think that God gave moms a special ability to be able to deal with it that dads might not possess.

Motherhood doesn't happen alone--my husband and my daughter made me a mom.

() () () () () () () () ()

Do you want to read some other motherhood moments? I posted the winners of the San Disk motherhood moments contest on 5 Minutes for Mom. Reading those entries and narrowing them down to 10 was tough, but I'm so glad I did. Check out what Motherhood is. . . for the 10 winners.

Capessa's contest
to win $500 in Zappos shoes is what inspired this one--boy could I spend that easily.

6 comments:

Org Junkie said...

Happy Mother's Day!!

thewritermama said...

Happy Mother's Day!

:) C

Katrina said...

I agree. Chad tried to chase me away yesterday and while I usually accept "mommy time" with much joy, I knew that on Mother's Day, I'd rather stay home with the people who have made me Mom.

Adventures In Babywearing said...

Yes- the perfect way to put it. And I hope you had a Happy Mother's Day!

Steph

heather said...

Happy (late) Mother's Day! (and Pentecost Sunday...what does it mean that Mother's Day and the day marking the coming of the Holy Spirit, accompanied by speaking in tongues, happens together?)

Deidre said...

I completely agree. My husband wanted to take me out to dinner alone, but oddly enough I wanted to celebrate with my girls (6 and 2).

Happy Mother's Day.