Monday, May 12, 2008

Good Sleep = Less Stress

Sleep-deprivation is often times par for the course for a mother. It begins as early as that first pregnancy when heartburn, leg cramps, potty breaks, and growing girth impede a good night's sleep when you feel like you need it most.

Then the mother of a newborn baby must deal with an entirely different set of sleep-interrupting problems, including nighttime feedings, dirty diapers, teething and day-night confusion. Once your child is sleeping soundly through the night (at two months old? six months? eighteen?), you may think that restless sleep is a thing of the past. But no--throughout the preschool and elementary years there is still the chance that a child will become ill in the middle of the night, or be awakened by bad dreams or thunderstorms. Then when they become teenagers, they stay up later than you, or they actually stay out. Let's not even think about the worry of having teenagers out in the middle of the night.

The bottom line--being a mom is stressful.

There are many things that can trigger stress, and one of them is not getting enough sleep. If we are sleep-deprived, we are less likely to handle the roller coaster of motherhood in the way we'd like to.

Sleep Deprived No More
by Jodi Mindell is a great book designed to "help you and your baby sleep through the night--from pregnancy to early motherhood," as the subtitle promises. At first glance, I thought that this book was just a guide on getting your baby to sleep through the night with the added elements of taking care of mom--giving advice to "nap while the baby naps." But no, the book includes all sorts of information about sleep needs in pregnancy and for the baby's first few months.

Johnson & Johnson sent me an autographed copy of this book along with a great mother/baby care package with some familiar baby care items--the baby lotion in the pink bottle with that distinctive baby-care smell--along with some that are new to me--a thicker baby cream lotion in a tube which my nine-year-old daughter has been using on her dry legs and the moisture care baby wash which my 3 1/2-year-old son used up in ONE bathtime (thank goodness I trust the non-toxic nature of J&J products).

But what I was really excited about was the new line of Johnson's for You products that I received including "Melt Away Stress" Dreamy Night Cream (which I've been using on my feet at night to try to get them summer-ready), Lotion, Oil (which can be used as a light massage oil, or a great after-bath moisterizer), and creamy body wash--mix of lavender and the classic Johnson's baby oil fragrance.

Would you like the chance to win this copy of the book? I will include several of the sample bottles of the J&J baby lotion as well. If you want to brace yourself with the knowledge you need for this turbulent time in a woman's life, or know just the mom who needs it, leave me a comment here (be sure that I can reach you through a blog or an email address). I'll post the winner on Sunday.

7 comments:

Blessed said...

I need that book - at least I need some sleep and maybe that book can help :)

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

I took for granted the ability to get a good nights sleep before I had kids. Not anymore!!!

Richelle said...

Would love that!

Katrina said...

I'd love to win this for my pregnant sister-in-law, if that's allowed. :)

Anonymous said...

I have a friend who is unexpectedly having her third baby this summer and her two others don't sleep well. I'd love to surprise her with this book. It does get better when they are all in school (but worse when they won't go to bed when you tell them, like my 12 year old).
martha, the roommate

Heather said...

I would love to win this on behalf of my sister-in-law who is just entering her second trimester (sounds like a race).

heather said...

Sorry--blogger went spastic. That last comment was me.