Wednesday, May 07, 2008

The Gym


I feel odd from the time I walk in until the time I leave. In fact, I feel odd packing a bag and odd after I've left looking all gym-my as well. Me? At the gym? Who do I think I am?

This month I got a free 30 day trial to a gym in our area. I've been once in two weeks. It just doesn't work for me. As I've said, I feel out of place. I feel as if everyone is watching me thinking, "She's going too slow on that treadmill," or "She's going to stop already?" Classes are good in theory, but to find the class I want to take offered in one of my not-so-frequent chunks of time doesn't always happen, and yes, I feel foolish in the classes as well, since I have absolutely no rhythm.

This particular gym has childcare, which scores it points big time, but it's only until noon each day, and then again late in the afternoon (after 3:30, I think). That doesn't really work for me either, since Kyle is in preschool two days a week past noon, we have Bible study one of his off days, and I have to get stuff done other times.

I'm just going to say it--I'm not a gym rat. It doesn't work for me.

Exercise in general is hard, but not impossible. Maybe next week I'll post what does work for me in the realm of exercise and fitness.

If you want to read more about what's not working for people, click on over to Rocks in My Dryer.

3 comments:

Darcie said...

I don't fit in so well at the gym either. But, a girl has still got to stay fit ya know? So I jog laps around my neighborhood. And...

I'm getting the new Wii Fit for Mother's Day. I can't say yet, but hopefully that will work for me!

Katrina said...

Yeah, I'm with you. My generous mother-in-law got me a gym membership one year. I did go regularly (I had to be a good steward of my gift!), but I always felt uncomfortable. I do much better with a home routine (that is, when I'm actually using a home routine).

Leslie said...

I totally understand. I hate the gym myself. A couple of people have told me that you can lose weight just by walking about 45 minutes a day, so I'm going to try that. I hope it works for me!