Monday, May 19, 2008

The Party

We had planned Kyle's fourth birthday party a bit early--before his dad and I go out of town and while Pops and Tutu are in town. I had decided to hold it at the park because all three and four-year-old children love the park, which was a wonderful idea,, but for one thing. . .

. . . the weather.

I don't know how someone planning an outdoor wedding does it. I was stressed out. The forecast was calling for partly sunny in the morning, clouding over in the early afternoon with rain beginning by 4:00 p.m. The party was from 1 - 2:30 p.m.

I was at church Sunday morning, the day of the party, and the pastor allowed for some time of silent prayer to bring our needs or concerns before God. He doesn't always do this, but what was first and foremost on my heart was an excited little boy's 4th birthday party.
Matthew 19:14: Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."
I brought my child to Jesus as I prayed, "Lord, I know it seems silly, but I'm asking You to hold off the rain for a little boy's birthday party."

Jesus instructs us that the faith of a child is a valuable thing.

Children can pray expectantly about anything and everything. I generally hold off in expressing these kinds of my heart's desire--the simple, the superficial, the selfish.

Yesterday I was exercising faith for my child.

The clouds rolled in. At 1:00 p.m. we started the party, and it looked like all would be fine. By 2:00 p.m. the winds had picked up and it was much cooler. At 2:15 p.m. we felt a drop or two of rain. By 2:30 p.m. as everyone began to leave, we knew it was going to rain. As I drove off at 2:40 p.m. it was raining hard.

The reason that I don't offer up those prayers more often is because I fear that I don't have the faith to hear a "no" when I've offered them up. I know that even if it had rained, it wouldn't have meant that God loves me or my little boy any less. In not praying expectantly for these types of things, I also miss out on the blessing of seeing those prayers answered.

Whether God held off the rain until right after the party ended in answer to my specific prayer, or a part of his plan from the beginning of time, doesn't really matter.

It didn't rain.

"It was a great party," Kyle repeatedly told us.

I learned a little bit about why exercising faith like a child is a good thing, and hopefully those muscles of faith will continue to grow if I exercise them a little more often.


5 comments:

Jen Rouse said...

We've been having the coldest, wettest spring ever here in Oregon, so I was worried about the weather for my daughter's birthday on Saturday too. However, the day before the party it suddenly jumped up to over 100 degrees. We were melting in the heat the day of the party. We survived anyway, though! Looks like yours was nice as well.

heather said...

I've learned that it's okay to pray for "silly" things like the fish in our fish tank and the squirrels in our attic (namely, that they'd get out safely and not die) and weather. After all, it's God's creation, and He cares about even the sparrow (and the fish and the squirrel).

Katrina said...

Aw, looks like lots of fun was had by all. I'm like you about praying about things like that...We just had a talk in our house last night about this very thing.

Dianne said...

Aw, he is so cute! I tend to not pray these kind of prayers either, but I still think God listens and cares about these concerns. Good analogy to the faith of a child!

Kristenc said...

I think your son has great faith! He was happy and excited during the time leading up to his birthday party. He KNEW he was going to have a great day, and he did, he had no doubt! I am glad everything worked well after all was said and done. Happy Birthday to your adorable son!