Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Thanks, Mom



I don't know how many of you watched the Academy of Country Music awards on Sunday night, but I was impressed with the quality of the performances. Well, some of them sounded like they couldn't sing live, but the showmanship and glitz was pretty good. Taylor Swift's performance (above) was over the top.

This video doesn't show all of my favorite part. The response from the audience was incredible, and the look on her face was incredulous. She was excited, amazed, pleased and surprised that she brought down the house.

Earlier that night she had won the award for best new artist, and she thanked her mom, very articulately. She said that her mom used to like to have lunch with friends, and fix her family dinner at night, and play games and she gave that all up to go on the road with her sixteen-year-old daughter (lest you totally drop your jaw at the video above, I think she's now eighteen--slightly better, right?).

On Mother's Day this year, Amanda had told me that she would do everything--put Kyle to bed, fix dinner, do the dishes--everything that I would do. We had a nice, long, filling lunch after church so we weren't really going to have a full dinner, but even so, by that afternoon she didn't want to be "Mom" anymore. She realized it's a lot of work.

It's nice to see that sometimes they can see the sacrifice and what it really means to be a mom. I don't ever want to shirk that burden and responsibility. I want to sacrifice, but I don't even want to see it as sacrifice, because that puts the attention back on me. I just want it to be the way things are.

And if one of my children thanks me from the stage one day, I'll smile, I'll cry, and I'll continue pointing back to the talent that got them there, not my sacrifice.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Love how you put this: "I want to sacrifice, but I don't even want to see it as sacrifice." Me too!

Kathleen Marie said...

It's amazing what parents will do for there kids... But I hate the idea of a parent pushing a kid into show biz... Support and love are one thing, pushing your kids into fame is another.

Blessings!