Monday, May 05, 2008

Truth and Brownies


Kyle and I were making brownies recently. He loves to help me, and apparently the dose of sugar (see the brownie mix around his mouth?) unleashed his tongue:

"You get a small piece, because you're bad," he told me.

"That's not very nice, Kyle," I coached him.

"I know, but I just had to tell you. You're bad, because you always don't promise us."

I can't interpret that one at all so I ask for clarification. "I don't know what that means."

"I know, but you don't promise us what clothes we can wear. You don't promise us. You scream at us."

"Does Daddy promise you?" I ask, trying to understand what it means to "promise" something.

"Yes, he does, but you don't."

"What does he promise you?"

"To wear the right clothes, but you don't. You get us in trouble."

A more fragile woman might have been shattered by this. However, Kyle is my boy. He loves his mommy. That somehow Daddy was being touted as someone who "promised" them, and I wasn't--I could deal with that. However, I think that the real reason that I wasn't concerned about his criticism of me is because I know him.

Later the truth came out, and I quote, "I don't want to take a bath. I like Daddy; I want to stay with him. I like Daddy. Blah, blah, blah." Yes, he actually said, "Blah, blah, blah," which proved to me what I suspected: he was just talking. His words didn't mean a whole lot.

I'm afraid that my words don't often mean a lot either. I think that my kids hear "blah, blah, blah," when I say, "I mean it. Put that away now." They know that the chance for another "now" will likely come in a few minutes.

On more positive note, Blankie stays upstairs now, regardless of which parent is waiting downstairs in the morning, and due to continued reminders, Kyle also stays in his room until 7:00 a.m., as he's supposed to, even if he wakes up earlier. I've given him some "rah-rah" instead of some "blah blah" on that one, letting him know that I am proud that he's choosing to obey the rules.

5 comments:

Dianne said...

It sounds like he's just having fun trying out some new vocabulary perhaps! Good probably that' you're not thin-skinned!

heather said...

This cracks me up--that he actually says, "blah, blah, blah." How do you keep a straight face as a mother?

Katrina said...

Love the "blah, blah, blah"! And good for you for recognizing that there was no deep criticism in his words. And congrats on the Blankie issue. I just went up the stairs to get Logan's blankie...

Beth@Sportsmomma said...

"blah, blah, blah" Oh my how precious!! I tell DH that all the time when he is "discussing" things with the boys. After about 15 min. I tell him- "ya know all they heard was blah, blah, blah after about 5 min!"

WTG Kyle on the blankie issue. I remember those struggles with Luke!! One day he just put it away in the cedar chest (of course he was in 2nd grade-LOL but he was only sleeping with it by then)! It almost broke my heart but made me proud as well!!

L.L. Barkat said...

Oh, how they both wound and teach us. And wrap it all in love.... and sometimes delightful nonsense.