Tuesday, June 17, 2008

BooMama's Before and After Featuring My New Living Area

BooMama's at it again. She's inviting us to make some goals and let all the world see what we need to do to create House Beautiful. Click on over to see the full explanation.

This is perfect for me right now.

Here's the story--
We live in New England in the kind of home that all New Englanders want to have--a center hall Colonial (okay, a few people want a Cape Cod), but the kind of houses that I bought, and loved, in Texas--brand new, bright, open living areas--just aren't the going thing (certainly not in our price range anyway).

It has a fantastic porch (which many people envied in the original BooMama Tour of Homes), which is great, but it makes a dark pieced up house with low ceilings even darker. After living here almost four years, this spring we just knocked out the wall between our library and the too-small living room. We also got the floors refinished. We LOVE it. It's much more open. Oh yeah, and the new furniture doesn't hurt much either (see below).


Before

After (after remodel AND after all my hard work)

And AFTER with new furniture (the last picture was taken looking into the new open space there)





Here's what I need to do:

I need some artwork to give the room a finished feel. I really love it, but it needs that to pull it together. I'm actually thinking of framing and enlarging some photos I've taken, and so I've delayed, but now I'm putting it out there as a real goal. New rugs would be nice (I do have the old rug down now in the living area, but I don't love it), but I'll have to see if there's budget for that.

See you on July 25.

9 comments:

Jen Rouse said...

Those floors are gorgeous indeed! I am envious of your fireplace as well.

Katrina said...

Your floors really are beautiful. We will have to take on that project before long for our scratched, faded main-level wood floors...

Looking forward to seeing your finishing touches to a great room!

jamie in rose cottage said...

Beautiful so far! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Monica @ Paper Bridges said...

wow, I was just thinking about that house tour this week. I've the perfect post for the Before and after challenge. thanks for the tip, Snap. (that's your new nickname, btw.)

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

Wow! You've done so much already! Can't wait to see it when it's done. See you on the 25th.

heather said...

Looks great!
See, I'm weird. I actually prefer the smaller areas and even low ceilings. It feels cozy to me. Like you can hide away.

Beck said...

Your house is BEAUTIFUL! I love that green - gorgeous.

Jane said...

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! I am sure your photos will be beautiful!

Connie Jean said...

this room is absolutely beautiful. I LOVE the flooring. That is what we want to do to the entire downstairs but that is more money than we can possibly afford right now. I'd love to get rid of carpet in the main living areas.