Sunday, June 08, 2008

A Little Linky Love (It's About Time!)

In my first year of blogging (when it consumed every waking thought and moment of my day), I frequently linked to posts or bloggers I liked. I would read a post, and that would spark ideas of my own, so I'd write about it (giving due credit to the source of inspiration, of course). I remember very clearly early in the blogging game, many of my classmates (those who jumped in the blogging fray in the spring of 2006) also began participating in Works for Me Wednesday (which was just a shadow of its current self).

I had tried one of the oh-so-creative Beck's ideas, and so I shared it, and she left me a comment saying, "Oh I'm famous!"

When people linked to me, I felt that same thrill, "Cool! People like me, and they are telling their other friends about me!"

Jo-Lynne at Musings of a Housewife is one of my Disney blogging buddies. She's delightful if you haven't "met" her. She recently included one of my posts in her Links and Shout Outs, and I felt that familiar thrill once again.

Community--It's the thing about blogging that I loved that first year, that I didn't even know existed when I first began writing. However, it's also the thing that caused me to get in too deep, like jumping in a body of water with cement blocks on my feet. The need to post every day, and the need to read all of the posts that my other blogging buddies were writing every day. . .it just got to be too much.

So, I have made an effort over the last few weeks to get back into the blogging community:
  • Returning visits to new commenters (I am thankful that people come and read my blog, and more thankful when they let me know they were here, so going over to meet them is the least I can do.)
  • Trying to leave comments when I visit the blogs I do get to read regularly (I used to not be able to stop in without leaving a comment, but yes, I am now a sometimes-lurker)
  • And I'll be trying to spread a little link-love, pointing to stuff that's going on in the blogosphere or just posts that I like.
So I just found out about a biggie: Kailani at An Island Life is hosting the Bloggy Hoss Awards, and some of my friends are nominated. If you don't know who to vote for, I'd like to share some of my suggestions:

My real-life buddy and blogging cohort Katrina at Callapidder Days is nominated for Nicest Personality. She is nice. The nicest.

**Edited to add that Steph at Adventures in Babywearing is also nominated for Nicest Personality, and she's another one of my Disney buddies, and is indeed nice. The funny thing is that after scrolling through all the entries, I was honestly surprised that she wasn't one of the nominees in any of the categories!

Jo-Lynne at Musings of a Housewife is nominated for Most Talkative (and she certainly is a prolific poster), and also Class Clown.

Not only creative, but deep--Beck at Frog and Toad are Still Friends is nominated for Brainiest Blogger.

5 Minutes for Mom is nominated for Head Cheerleader, Most Popular and Most Likely to Succeed. Wow--they are all fitting in different ways.

So, head on over to Kailani's to vote. You can vote for my favorites, or you can check them out and find some new favorites--that's one great thing about blog awards. Metropolitan Mama is a blog that I've checked out a few times recently. She's nominated for Most Likely to Succeed. She's a fairly new blogger, but she seems to be taking the world by storm. Definitely one to watch!

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

Thanks for the nice comments! I really am so honored to have been nominated.

I appreciate your musings about how important it is to foster a community spirit. I love the "relational" side of blogging. I think it's my favorite part. It's so wonderful to "know" so many warm, intelligent, and delightful people from all over the world...

Adventures In Babywearing said...

I love when other bloggers link up- it really is fun seeing and "meeting" new faces!!

Steph

dcrmom said...

why thanks for all the link love!! :-)

Katrina said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Jennifer!

Tonya said...

I don't know how to use your email address thingy to give you my address for the Wii.

Tonya said...

Ok hubby showed me. I sent you the email.

Summer said...

Thanks for stopping by Jennifer. I know what you mean about getting in to deep. I'm trying to better manage my blogging, all the time.

Sarah said...

That is a great link love list. I recognize some and I have some new blogs to check out.

Thanks.

Monica @ Paper Bridges said...

hey, Jen. you're reading through RSS feeds, right? that helps a lot! I use Google, but there are lots more to choose from. let me know if you need any help with that.

m

Under the Florida Sun said...

Yea, I can keep up with your blog now through your RSS feed! Thanks for putting that button on here.

Very cool list of sites! Great entry!

Looking forward to the Disney posts coming back.