Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sliding into Summer

Yes, Amanda's still in school, so summer has not yet officially begun here. I imagine that there are a few other Northeasterners still in school, but I know the rest of you have been out a week or three. I have been gradually sliding into summer ever since May.

First, BSF was over (I will be returning as a leader again next year). That's always creates a big let up of my perceived responsibilities and busyness level, and leaves Monday nights free.

Then, we went on our vacation, and I do think that lying around reading and soaking up the sun did wonders to skyrocket me into that relaxed mindset of summer, even though when I returned Kyle still had another week and a half of preschool and Amanda still had three whole weeks. I also feel so summery each time I look down at my tanned arms.

Last week, due to "extreme weather!" Amanda had early dismissal from school on Monday and Tuesday, and no soccer practice on Monday either. I understand the school thing, since some schools don't have air conditioning, and it was over 90 degrees both days, but I don't really understand why they couldn't practice soccer for 60 minutes at 4:30pm. As I said in my newest giveaway post at 5 Minutes for Mom called "Excercise!" summertime is meant for running and playing and getting sweaty. I enjoyed having her home early as a little taste of what it was going to be like to have her around every day.

So, for whatever reason (and after writing it down, I think it's the relaxation that seeped into my blood on vacation), these last few weeks have been a delightful slide into summer. Amanda has early dismissal on Wednesday and Thursday, so today is her last full day of school. We don't have many plans. I do want to sign Amanda up for a couple camps, but I haven't done it yet, because we were unsure about visitors schedules and our own vacation schedule (which I think is still up in the air as well).

But most of all I'm looking forward to no schedules, no practices or extra-curriculars, days on end where I don't have to leave the house (and with gas costing over $4.25 here in Connecticut, I can easily adapt to that). Maybe the kids will sleep late, or even if they don't we'll lounge in PJs, and I'll let them gorge on TV in the mornings while I spend time on the computer. I like that setup. It works for me.

What are you most looking forward to this summer?

4 comments:

Karla E said...

Jennifer, Oh, those wimpy Connecticans (or whatever they are called). My kids will be at Soccer Camp all next week...every day, all day...and it will be at least 95 each day. That's a Texas kid for you. They sure do sleep well.

Melissa @ Breath of Life said...

I'm willing to bet Karla's kids don't go out in temps below 30, like yours do ;-)

This is our first week of summer break. I'm looking forward to no homework, no "have to's", and no real schedule. I'm still at work, but the evenings and weekends are far more relaxed.

I'm looking forward to evenings on the front porch, READING!

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

I've been seeing kids around during the day for about a week but others still seem to be coming home from the bus stop so I haven't figured out if school's out or not. = ) I think it's private (Catholic) school kids who are out and public school will probably be out at the end of this week. Also, we're paying $4.10-4.20. Ugh! Makes me think twice about going anywhere for an activity when my gang is perfectly content digging in the backyard.

Katrina said...

I'm most looking forward to (and already enjoying) not having to do the whole homework review routine every night. It never took really long, but it was still just "one more thing" that had to get done every day.

I've had a bit of a rough adjustment to summer, but it always takes me a while to get into any new routine. I'm sure a Caribbean vacation would have helped me. ;)