Thursday, June 19, 2008

Spring Reading Thing 2008 Wrap-up


Here was my dilemma I posted for my SRT list:

Since I've been writing my book column at 5 Minutes for Mom (almost a year now!), it's much harder to predict what I might be reading three months in advance, so my Fall into Reading participation was sort of "off."

These are my original predictions and I've added the results in bold. I had some ambitious goals--trying to accurately pinpoint what I'd read--and I am quite pleased overall.

See you in the Fall!

These are some of the fiction titles sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. I predict that I will read 6 to 10 novels with many of them from this list hopefully. Read 8 and listened to one audiobook--GOAL!

Payback
by Melody Carlson--Not read
Symphony of Secrets by Sharon Hinck--Review
Girls in Trucks--Yes
Carpool Diem--Read half of it, and stopped because it didn't grab me.
The Host by Stephanie Meyer--Review
Mrs. Perfect--Review
Pilgrims by Elizabeth Gilbert--Started and didn't enjoy--somewhat reviewed HERE
Harry Potter number 5 (and maybe 6 and 7)--Nope, but my daughter just started #1, so I gotta get with it again, because I want to read ahead of her.

Additional:

Certain Girls -- Review
One Good Turn -- review
The Thirteenth Tale -- review
The Quickie by James Patterson (audiobook) -- review
Sweet Caroline -- review

Biography/Memoir/Humor/Travel--I predict that I will read 7 or more from this genre. Read 6 (I'm not sure what I was thinking with that goal?)--Good enough.

The Middle Place (I'm halfway through this one now)--Review
The Year of Living Biblically by A.J. Jacobs--Review
Three Cups of Tea--Review
Three Weeks with my Brother by Nicholas Sparks--No
The Film Club--No (never got the review copy, although I still really want to read it)
Beautiful Boy--No
The Woman Who is Always Tan and Has a Flat Stomach--Review
Honeymoon with my Brother--Review
Road Map to Holland--Review (great book and you can still enter to win a copy through Sunday)


Other Non-Fiction--I predict 4 to 8 of these will get read. Read 2 1/2 books and only 1 1/2 were on the list. Fell down on nonfiction that time. I'm okay with that.

Sacred Marriage--Half of it--Review
The DNA of Relationships--No
Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World--No
Experiencing the Resurrection -- Read most of it
Mom, You Make it All Better--No, never got the review copy
Date Night in a Minivan--Review
Gorgeously Green--No
The Busy Mom's Devotional-Didn't really read it, just looked through it.
The Next Level--No
Generation NeXt Marriage--Read parts of it.

Additional:

Trading Places by Les and Leslie Parrot -- review

With Amanda--Didn't reach this goal.
A Wrinkle in Time --I started it, but Amanda read it all and has requested the next books in the series, which I picked up.

We did all read Scaredy Squirrel at the Beach together (review).

8 comments:

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

You did very well! We had a few similarities on our list, but you did much better than I did with having a wide variety of subjects. I have fallen off with my reading with my Favorite Boy. He reads so much on his own that I let it slide. I do want to start that again!

Katrina said...

Great job, Jennifer. You really read a lot! Camden and I haven't been reading together lately. We did read one book this spring, but that's it. He's reading lots on his own, so I guess it's okay. I would like to read Wrinkle in Time with him, though... it's on the shelf.

Julie said...

You did a great job, and I enjoyed reading all your reviews. Now I have a whole new list of books to read lol.

Barbara H. said...

Wow, what a long and varied list! I enjoyed Sharon Hinck's Symphony of Secrets, too, though not quite as much as her other books. I need to read Having a Mary Heart some time.

Much Ado said...

wow, you did great Jennifer! As I was looking down your list, I was like "oh, yes, that's one I want to read"....we must have similar taste. Now I'm going back to your post to check out some of the reviews, especially the year of living biblically one - the concept of that book fascinates me, so I am interested in how you found reading it.

Susanne said...

Wow, your list is amazing!

Lisa writes... said...

Note to self: quit reading everyone's reading recaps. YOu only feel guilty for the little bit of reading you accomplished and who needs more guilt?

:-)

Seriously, great list! I've got The Host packed to take beachside with me next week!

alisonwonderland said...

it looks like you accomplished a lot! i'm going to have to take a look at many of your reviews. happy summer!