Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Cake for Breakfast

That picture really was taken real-time. Before 7:30 a.m., we were making cake in our pajamas.

Yesterday, Kyle's brother was here. When Lee came to pick him up, I shared some of my bounty with her. I am going to be reviewing Naturally Nora's mixes on 5 Minutes for Mom, and that morning I had received a box with samples of all the flavors. I definitely want to try out a few of them before I post the review, but I also thought that getting another mom's perspective would be good as well. Lee is a bit more ingredient-conscious than I, so I knew that she would appreciate that it is all-natural.

When I was allowing her to choose her flavor, Kyle saw them. He wanted to make some cake right then. Since it was hot outside, and pretty warm inside as well, I didn't really want to bake a cake.***

Kyle woke up at 7:00 a.m. looking for the cake mixes. "Can we make them now?" he asked.

I relented, and he had cake for breakfast.



_________________________________________________________________

Instead of using long parenthetical asides as I'm known to do, I think I'm going to employ the footnote method henceforth:

***When I lived in the always-air-conditioned South, I never understood the whole concept that magazines touted about "cool summer recipes" that didn't involve heating up your kitchen. "It doesn't matter if it's 95 or 75 outside, it's still a cool 75 degrees inside," I thought (we were always too cheap to keep it at 75, but you get the point).

When I lived without air-conditioning in Portland for a year, I begin to get it.

Here in Connecticut, many homes are un-air-conditioned as well (most using window units at least), or they have a small central unit as we do. We do have a/c, and it works to cool the bedrooms upstairs quite well, and if it's running, it does prevent the downstairs from becoming absolutely sweltering, but it's not cool when it's over 80 and too muggy outside to allow the outside air in.

So--over 80 and muggy equals not a good time to bake in this house.

On yet another side note, I have become like the New Englanders that I used to make fun of. When we first moved here four years ago, I would think, "It's a bit stuffy in here. I know she has a/c. Why are the windows open?" Fast-forward four years: when I visit overly air-conditioned homes, I think, "Brrr!" I observed to Terry the other day that I didn't mind our stuffy house anymore.

If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Don't worry, I'm not turning into a Yankee. I still say "y'all," and Terry and I are quick to correct Amanda when she asks for "seerup." Syrup is pronounced "surup" around here.

4 comments:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

I know exactly what you mean about the AC! = ) I turned mine (central AC in the southern sense) on today at 85 degrees outside. Couldn't believe I was doing it. But the humidity and the sweating and the 6 months pregnant is just not so much fun.

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

I am a surup girl too! (I am also a parenthetical girl.) :)

Beck said...

We haven't used our air conditioning ONCE this year - I have to be practically dead before I turn it on! But it's been cold.

Katrina said...

Cake for breakfast? What a cool mom you are.

We like our A/C and probably over-use it, but I live with a bunch of sweat-ers, so it's hard to avoid.

Oh, and it's see-rup here; I'm sure you're not surprised. :)