Friday, July 25, 2008

The Faith of a Child Isn't as Simple as We Think

I was quizzing Kyle after church on Sunday about what he had learned at church. I then asked him if he remembered any of the stories he heard at VBS. Since I was teaching the class of older preschoolers, I knew all the stories that he heard, as well as the truth about God that went along with it. I also knew that the music teacher reinforced all of them each day.

"Well, we learned a story about sand and water."

Yep, that's the music teacher's doing.
She had a small bottle of sand and one of water to signify the parting of the Red Sea. "What did you learn about the sand and water?"

"The sea opened so that the Igalites could get through, and then it came together (CLAP), and those people who were chasing them couldn't get through."

"That's right, Kyle!" Then I asked, trying to reinforce the truth that because God cared for the Israelites, he will care for us as well, "And did that show you that 'God is good to everyone'?"

"Well, not those other people."

Oh, yes, the Egyptians. They might not have been thinking that God is good to everyone as the water consumed them. He got me thinking.

And then yesterday as he sat at the table eating his Pop Tart, looking out at the rainy morning, he said "I asked God why it was raining."**

"What did He say?" I asked, expectantly.

"Nothing. What do you think?" he tossed the ball back into my court.

"God knows that little boys don't like it when it rains. He wants us to be happy, but He also wants what's good for us. Do you know what would happen if it never rained?"

"What?" Kyle asked, rapt and still.

"The green grass and the beautiful flowers would die. We wouldn't be able to grow corn and tomatoes and broccoli."

He got me thinkign some more. It all comes back around to God's sovereignty, and His unfathomable nature. He is good to everyone, but we just can't comprehend exactly what that means all the time with our shortsighted human vision.

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the LORD.

"As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts."

Isaiah 55:8-9

- - - - - - -

**I loved hearing this because Kyle is not that spiritually deep kind of child that some are. In fact, listening to our VBS CD on the second day in the car, after the song "I know my God is real," Kyle, ever the literal preschooler, said, "But God isn't real." The nine-year-old was quick to correct, explaining that just because you can't see Him doesn't mean He's not real.

4 comments:

Trish said...

It really makes you think when you are trying to explain things to a child, about what you believe and why. We were talking about God being a spirit and not a "person" except when Jesus was on earth. Definitely stretching my powers of explanation!!

Katrina said...

Questions from Camden have done more to make me think about my faith and about the "pat answers" that we so often give kids than anything else. I love your conclusion and completely agree -- He is control and He knows what He's doing, even when we don't get it.

Anonymous said...

I am reminded of my husband who skipped out to the kitchen 35 years ago and asked his mom " Mom what is Camelot?" She went into a very in depth answer about The Holy Grail and King Arthur. When she was done she said Now do you understand?

My husband, always the little boy even now in his 40's said "Thanks mom!
I ALWAYS thought it was a lot where you sell Camels."

Enjoy these days of intrigue and wonder and your son's thirst for answers.

It will Change when he becomes a teenager. I am always very happy that my 2 teenagers LOVE church.

Iva said...

Aren't children wonderful?

I co-taught some kindergarteners this VBS - and from the sounds of things, it looks like we had the same study. (It was awesome, wasn't it? We h ad 20 kids come to Christ at the end of the week - my daughter was one of them. God is SO good!)