Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Meatzza


Many years ago I found this recipe for Meatzza in an Eating Well magazine. I've long since lost the original recipe, which I'm sure was much more complicated than what's come of it now. I had planned to make it tonight, and then saw the special "5 Ingredients or Less" edition of Works-for-me-Wednesday, and since it fits, I'm posting (with pictures taken tonight as I made it).

Meatzza

1.5 pounds of ground beef
peppers and onions (mushrooms if you like)
jarred spaghetti sauce
mozzerella cheese

Season the ground beef (I use garlic powder, pepper, and salt), and shape into a round flat pizza shape (about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch thick). I have a cool two part pizza pan that allows the fat to drip, but you can use a large rimmed cookie sheet as well (with space around the meat for the fat to collect).

Cover it with spaghetti sauce.



Saute the sliced vegetables, and then put them on top of the meatzza. Cover with grated mozzerella cheese.


Bake at about 420 for about 20 minutes, until meat is cooked through and cheese is browned.

I serve this with rice, and sometimes an extra veggie or salad.

It had been a while since I had made this, and Amanda (9) ate it well, and Kyle (4) didn't really, but might on another night.

2 comments:

sarah said...

That looks incredible. Thanks for sharing. What you cooking for July 4th? I just saw Paula Deen create Bananas Foster and think I'll try it. Not healthy or low-fat but its a holiday, right?

jennwa said...

My kids would love that thanks.