Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Mmm. . . .Vegetables


I'm sure I'm not the only mom who has served her child cake for breakfast, as I did this morning, but I'm feeling a little defensive (however I guess this new post also incriminates me, since he's still in his pajamas after 10:00 a.m.).

I was cutting up some vegetables for Kyle and I to eat today, and I thought I'd post a few tricks that work as far as getting him to eat vegetables:



  • Let him snack. He is always feeling graze-y while I'm making dinner, so I allow him to snack at will on the veggies I'm cutting up. That leads me to the second point--
  • Try different shapes. When we bought the carrots, he was dying for "a whole carrot," so I let him eat it that way. I usually cut my bell peppers in strips for eating raw, but I was doing a large dice last night, and he said, "This is my favorite shape--rectangles." He ate more little rectangles than he normally does. Which leads to my next thought--
  • Raw is better. Not only do the nutrients stay completely in tact, both of my kids like them better. So, if I know that they are unlikely to devour the stir fry I'm preparing, I put a few raw veggies on their plates to eat.
  • Keep trying. Sometimes Kyle eats cauliflower, sometimes he doesn't. I keep trying different things (and now different shapes) and hope that a new veggie will sneak its way into his diet.
For more Works-for-Me-Wednesdsay tips, visit Rocks in My Dryer.

5 comments:

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

Around here broccoli looks amazingly like tiny trees and little boys look like giants. They gobble it right up every time.

Audra Krell said...

This is a great idea..you can do so much with shapes. It always pays to be flexible!

Dawn- Sweet Pea Cakes,etc. Blog said...

Hey Jennifer- I was a winner on 5 minutes for mom for the Listen! Audio CD giveaway. I sent several emails to you but haven't heard back and haven't received any cds. I was just wondering if you got my emails and if they were still coming! Thanks! sweetpeacakesetc(at)yahoo(dot)com

Dawn

Katrina said...

Great tips. Both of my boys are pretty good about their veggies, but I think just having them available and letting them snack on them whenever is what helps the most.

heather said...

What about carrot cake?