Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Panera Don't Fail Me Now

One of the things I've missed most about school being out is my trips to Panera. Kyle was in school two days a week, and I tried to reserve one of the two days each week to spend most of the four hours that he was in school at Panera: sipping coffee, enjoying their free WIFI, and writing or working on the computer. If I got bored with that, TJ Maxx is just next door, so I can easily pass 45 minutes or so trying to have a Maxx Moment finding that steal of a bargain.

Next year Kyle will be in school three days a week, which means I can have one day at Panera and use two days to surf the net at home get stuff done around the house.

Today I got a babysitter so that I could get my hair cut (so I'd look great for my exciting NYC adventure tomorrow--details to come). I decided to have him come a couple hours early so I could treat myself to Panera.

I arrived at about 9:20. I ordered my bagel and filled up my mug with their dark roast coffee and half and half. One huge benefit to Panera in my mind is drinking out of a mug. You have to ask for it, but they are a vast improvement to styrofoam. I sat down with my laptop and the WIFI didn't work. There was a signal, but it wasn't working. I thought it was my computer being wonky, but I heard someone else complain as well. I had some writing to do, so I opened a Word document instead, but I was sad about being thwarted.

Then I got up to refill my coffee, and they were out. I decided to go with the Cafe Blend, which is fine, and they were out too. Out of coffee. Before 10:00am. Not good Panera.

They remedied the situation, but I'm hoping that when I step out in September I'll have better luck with my favorite coffee cafe. Since Starbucks is now offering free WIFI and free refills with their Starbucks rewards program, Panera is going to have to work a little harder for this mama's business.

10 comments:

Jen E said...

They are normally such a wonderful place - I'm guessing it was a fluke - I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. :)

Carrie said...

Wait. What? What is the Starbucks rewards program? And how can I have been so ignorant of it?

Jennifer said...

Hopefully it was just an "off" day. I love Panera but unfortunately there are none in my area. It might be a good thing because I shutter to think about the WW points values on any of their yummy bakery items.

Adventures In Babywearing said...

Oh no! That would be disappointing!

Steph

Stephanie's Mommy Brain said...

How frustrating!

Amy said...

First, I didn't know about Starbucks. Will have to research that. Although I do love Panera's bagels (and cake, etc.) their WiFi leaves much to be desired. The Panera near me is huge and has only TWO OUTLETS, which for my laptop's battery that lasts about 10 minutes, sometimes results in a problem. But the other thing was that they shut me off after an hour. I was just geting into things. Maybe I'll re-explore, but I'm definitely in favor of Starbucks right now.

Dianne said...

Okay i just registered my S-card! Didn't know about the wi-fi option, passed on that for now as my laptop is currently housebound (broken latch). thanks for the tip!

Feener said...

i was never crazy about panera BUT now that i realize for lunch i can hang and use the wifi for FREE - i love them !! i went to mcdonalds the other day b/c they claimed to have wifi but i would have to pay for it !!! F0*&^ that, i am back to panera...

Rachel Langston said...

You're right..."Not good, Panera."

I'm also a regular at the Panera right up the street from my house. My kids start school in 10 days and I bet I won't be the only mom spending a leisurely morning in there after a long summer!

Hope your local Panera gets their issues straightened out! I'm not a coffee drinker so Starbucks wouldn't work for me but I hate to see someone leave unhappy from one of my favorite spots.

Rachel Langston

Katrina said...

I went to Panera a couple weeks ago (on one of my occasional Sundays out)...and the WiFi was down there too! When I asked someone, she said it had been out for a week. A week?! That should be taken care of promptly!

I thought about zipping over to Starbucks, but Panera always feels more cozy, more conducive to writing... So, like you, I just opened a document and wrote.